DSS Single Tank rig review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zbskii

Contributor
Reaction score
Got to take out my new Deep Sea Supply BP/W setup this weekend. I have to say, I was *very* impressed. I hadn't been in the water in over a year, and several of my dive buddies couldn't believe it. One guy I dived with even complemented me on my buoyancy control. In anycase, here's my review:
Pluses:
- Extremely streamlined and secure. I never felt like anything was rolling around on me; I could go completely upside down, and my tank didn't shift at all.
- The inflator has a really good flow rate for me, it doesn't dump half your tank in the bc after a single press like some other bc's I've used.
- The inflator hose position in the middle of the wing made it extremely easy to dump air; I've always had trouble with this with other setups.
- The square d-rings on the chest & waist are really nice, they stick out a bit making it easy to clip stuff on and off them.
- Like many have said the fit and finish is second to none. This is a rig obviously designed by somebody that dives.

Nit-picks:
- Where the shoulder straps cross isn't adjustable, and for me it makes the tank a bit low. This also makes the inflator a little short for me; I need to turn my head slightly to orally inflate the wing. I'm going to try the uncrossed config next time.
- The pull-dump is on the inside (facing the diver) of the wing. What's the point of that? The only time I could think you'd need to use it is if you were completely upside down. No biggy, I never use pull dumps anyways.
- I wish the crotch strap had some kind of retaining clip, every dive I had to re-adjust it since it tended to not keep it's slack on the webbing. I also almost slammed my tank down on the crotch strap buckle several times, maybe this should be made of metal?

Overall, this is definitely the best BC I've ever dove, and I'm totally happy with my purchase.

I got one shortly after they came out, and love it. Took it diving in the Bahamas weekend before last, and it performed flawless as ever. thanks to this great quality, I'm planning to stay with DSS for my doubles wing too.

Also forgot to mention that I got to talk to Tobin when I ordered, and he helped me figure out the right setup and wing size. Awesome service!

Hopefully he'll reply and tell me I'm wrong about my critiques. :)

zbskii:
Nit-picks:
- Where the shoulder straps cross isn't adjustable, and for me it makes the tank a bit low. This also makes the inflator a little short for me; I need to turn my head slightly to orally inflate the wing. I'm going to try the uncrossed config next time.
- The pull-dump is on the inside (facing the diver) of the wing. What's the point of that? The only time I could think you'd need to use it is if you were completely upside down. No biggy, I never use pull dumps anyways.
- I wish the crotch strap had some kind of retaining clip, every dive I had to re-adjust it since it tended to not keep it's slack on the webbing. I also almost slammed my tank down on the crotch strap buckle several times, maybe this should be made of metal?

Overall, this is definitely the best BC I've ever dove, and I'm totally happy with my purchase.

Do you have a pic of this setup? Some of the things you mention are confusing.

Does the rig come configured with shoulder straps crossed? Most BP/W setups don't come that way. Also how does this make the tank sit low? Doesn't the unit have cam straps that allow you to position the tank?

The pull dump is normally on the inside of the wing. As the wing wraps around the tank at depth, it puts the dump into the most advantageous position. The dump is very useful when you are actually trimmed properly.

The crotch strap is usually captured by the waist belt. How are you using yours? When done properly it's essentially impossible for it to move anywhere. Also your crotch strap has a buckle? I've never seen that.

I need to find a link to a pic of this system.

Found a link. I understand now. You got the pro-fit harness and not the Hogarthian setup... your problems all make sense now. I was thinking how NONE of this could have happened with a Hog setup...

Tobin and his folks do a fantastic job on their product and with customer service. If I didn't love my X-Tek harness/wings so much, I'd be diving his stuff.

PerroneFord:
Do you have a pic of this setup? Some of the things you mention are confusing.

Does the rig come configured with shoulder straps crossed? Most BP/W setups don't come that way. Also how does this make the tank sit low? Doesn't the unit have cam straps that allow you to position the tank?

Yes, it does have cam straps. I should have really said "makes the backplate sit low" The pro fit harness can be setup with crossed or uncrossed shoulder straps

PerroneFord:
The pull dump is normally on the inside of the wing. As the wing wraps around the tank at depth, it puts the dump into the most advantageous position. The dump is very useful when you are actually trimmed properly.

Ahh ok, that makes total sense.

PerroneFord:
The crotch strap is usually captured by the waist belt. How are you using yours? When done properly it's essentially impossible for it to move anywhere. Also your crotch strap has a buckle? I've never seen that.

The crotch strap has a quick release on it, but I think it needs another strap adjuster or something on there.

PerroneFord:
I need to find a link to a pic of this system.
www.deepseasupply.com

Yeah yeah yeah, I know the hog setup is the One True Way etc...

zbskii:
Yeah yeah yeah, I know the hog setup is the One True Way etc...

I wouldn't say that. I think that everyone needs to evaluate their own rig. I too own the infamous DSS singles rig with pro-fit harness. I bought mine because of the hardware that you got with this selection, specifically the poly-point rings at the arm pits. This will give me the connection point that I will use for clipping my camera off, I also like the pre-bent d-rings. Again I am playing around with my rig and am considering leaving the left ring off the webbing as my inflator lays over the top of that ring anyways and I have the poly-point rig to clip things off now. I don't dive with any stage bottles at this point, but I would think that I could use the poly-point clip for the top instead. If I were to get a stage it would probably only be a 30 or 40 anyways (again I said if).

I was not a big fan of the pre-bent scooter ring and have since removed it in favor of a steel buckle and a 2" crotch strap. I dive with a 130 so I wanted the extra width on the strap just in case it rides up if you know what I mean? I have also replaced the lower webbing with a standard webbing as I did not like the flexibility of the soft webbing; for me it was harder to tell if I had it twisted. I took my webbing and plate to the shoe repair place and had them sew the webbing for me. I am know thinking about replacing the upper portion of webbing with the regular stuff as well. I thought the soft webbing with velcro was a little stiff, I uncrossed the straps after the first fitting because they didn't feel right and didn't seem to let the plate sit high enough on my shoulders. The pro-fit also comes with two qwuick disconnects and I am considering moving to one disconnect located just above my left poly-point ring. This is an area that I can easily reach when donning and doffing my rig. I am a wide bodied guy and do not have alot of upper body flexibility.

This is an awsome rig and I just want to get it dialed in for myself. Your milage may vary though.

I have another thread going, asking about the DSS pro-fix rig compared to the DiveRite Deluxe w/shoulder clip.

Mitten, it sounds like you're only left with the polypoint and the bend d-rings, and that you've replaced most everything else??? I also am on the larger side, and don't have that much flexibility in the upper body, and want a rig that is adjustable, or, can "clip" part.

rickyd:
Mitten, it sounds like you're only left with the polypoint and the bend d-rings, and that you've replaced most everything else??? I also am on the larger side, and don't have that much flexibility in the upper body, and want a rig that is adjustable, or, can "clip" part.

I actually use both of the poly-point rings. I chose to eliminate the upper left chest d-ring, the way I saw it it just layed under my inflator hose. I will eventually end up omitting the adjustable feature of the harness as I can get my right arm in and than buckle my left strap. I am however still playing around with this setup, I will be diving with some tech friends this weekend in Gilboa Quarry and plan to try some different combinations with full undies and all. I bought a set of 5 lbs. weight plates and have found that I do not need them if I dive my Andy's DS2 drysuit with light undies. I can bet that I will need the additional weight with full undies though.

My dive buddy introduced me to the idea of only incorporating one qwuick release. I had started diving with a Seaquest Balance and since switching I have no need to go back. Anyone looking for a slightly used well cared for BC? When donning and doffing this setup I would unclip the left strap to make it easier to slide my arm in and out. I always seemed to either get my dry ring or compass caught or my shoulder dump would get hung up with the strap connected. So why not incorporate the same features into my BP/W? This is what works for me and may not meet the needs of every diver though.

I know that Tobin is on the board all of the time and he is a great source for information. He may be able to eleborate on the crossed strap setup, I was under the impression that this style would lend itself to a better fit for some body types. I am guessing from my own experience that it probably wasn't wide shouldered type individuals. I will be ordering another DSS rig for my son, I just wish that I new then what I knew now. My shop, even though they catered to some tech divers, never even gave me the option of going with a wing and plate initially, this is actually to bad as it fills my recreational needs perfectly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom