Nikon Cool Pix Camera's!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PaulSmithTek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was wondering if anyone has taken pictures with a cool pix 2200 through 5200 if so what are there recommendations. Do they take good pics underwater, ect. If anyone also has any pictures they have taken with the camera I would appricate if they could email them to me so I can make my decision on weather to buy a different camera or just buy a housing for what i have.

I just started with my 4600 and the Nikon housing and quickly discovered that a strobe is a must. In deep water, everything has a blue cast and often in shallow water, the internal flash didn't auto-flash and the pictures were washed out. I used Underwater mode for most of my shots. I plan to try it using manual adjustments next time. My Coolpix just doesn't allow for many manual adjustments.

I think it is an adequate camera for learning underwater photography. I'm spoiled in that I've been using a 7 megapixel Sony DSLR for a couple of years. I bought the Coolpix with the knowledge that if the camera flooded, it would not be the end of the world.

If you look in my gallery, the photos of the wreck (with the blue tinge) are taken with the Coolpix and the more colorful ones were taken with my buddy's Cannon 500SD using only the internal flash. Really big difference in the results.

I'm going to buy the Sealife 960D strobe, which supposedly works on all digital cameras so that I can reuse when I upgrade.

Nikon's are great but you might want to consider reviewing the Olympus Stylus 800. It's an 8.0 Megapixel all-weather camera that will fit in your pocket. If the housing leaks some or water is splashing around the boat, it won't matter because the camera is o-ring sealed anyway.

TexasScubaDiver:
Nikon's are great but you might want to consider reviewing the Olympus Stylus 800. It's an 8.0 Megapixel all-weather camera that will fit in your pocket. If the housing leaks some or water is splashing around the boat, it won't matter because the camera is o-ring sealed anyway.

Sounds like an outstanding camera for the money. I'm putting it on my short list when I upgrade.

I've been using a DSLR camera for land photography, but the housing for it costs $2000!

Thanks!

I've got the Coolpix 4600, but can only give an "above water" review.

It works great above water. It's a great camera and takes great pics
and is easy to use and small enough to put in your pocket.
It does have the underwater mode, but I don't have the housing
for it so can't say how well that would work.

Who is making a housing for the Sylus 800?

Peter,

Olympus PT-029 and Ikelite 6138.8. There may be others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom