DX-8000 or D-70?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

naucorid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I need some advice: I have been using a Sea & Sea DX-3100 and been moderately satisfied with the results, other than slow shutter release, low resolution (3 megapixel) and the macro function usually focuses at a plane other than the subject. I’ve been reading reviews about the DX-8000, which appears to have resolved the first two shortcomings of the DX-3100. I am considering purchasing the DX-8000, but I have a terrestrial Nikon D-70. Would I be better off getting a u/w housing for the D-70 instead of buying the DX-8000? If so, what housing should I consider, and what Nikon lens is compatible with the housing? I’d like a zoom with macro capability. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

D70 and DX8000 are two completely different kind of cameras. If you want something small for casual u/w photography, a bit of macro, a bit of wide angle then DX8000 would be the way to go (or any other PnS camera for that matter). It is also capable of taking nice pictures but you wil find that given the right circumstances and lens combinations, dSLR will produce a better result. However downside of dSLR is the cost, size of the setup, ability to only do macro or wide angle only on each dive. After saying that, you will get better AF, better macro capability, wide angle and better picture quality(in the sense that sensors and lenses are much better, dSLR won't make you a better photographer automatically!).
Lenses wise for d70, wide angle, 10.5mm, 12-24mm and sigma 15mm are the common choice, 60mm, 105mm and 70-180mm for macro would be a good place to start. Check the housing manufacturer for specific lenses they support. Most will support the lenses mentioned above, if you want to use sigma 12-24mm, tokina 12-24mm or new sigma 10-22mm then you better check with the housing manufacturer first.

naucorid:
I need some advice: I have been using a Sea & Sea DX-3100 and been moderately satisfied with the results, other than slow shutter release, low resolution (3 megapixel) and the macro function usually focuses at a plane other than the subject. I’ve been reading reviews about the DX-8000, which appears to have resolved the first two shortcomings of the DX-3100. I am considering purchasing the DX-8000, but I have a terrestrial Nikon D-70. Would I be better off getting a u/w housing for the D-70 instead of buying the DX-8000? If so, what housing should I consider, and what Nikon lens is compatible with the housing? I’d like a zoom with macro capability. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
The size of these two units is also radically different....I know how it is carrying giant photo equipment around underwater...For it's size and for the general overall photographer I'd bet on the dx 8000. But.....if you want to get better overall pics with a little more effort d70...I sold the ikelite housing to a friend of mine and he loves it..I have seen the dx in action a lot lately and the macro works very well. Fast response on the shutter too. recycle time is good for 2 consecutive pics then the recycle time is a few seconds if you fire off two pics. See my gallery on SB to see a few pics done with the dx5000 with ys 25 strobe..

naucorid:

You'll have to decide for yourself how much into underwater photography you're going to get. The dSLR route with the D-70 is certainly a great way to go, but as others have stated, it can be quite a bit bigger and perhaps more complicated that with a point and shoot. Once you add arms and strobes, it can get to be quite a bit to carry around. The D-70 is what I use - it's definitely more to manage underwater than my old point and shoot, and even moreso out of the water, transporting it back and forth to and from dive sites and on the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom