Lemon Sharks in Jupiter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

laughintom

Contributor
Reaction score
I am going to Jupiter in January to dive with the lemon sharks. Does anyone have suggestions on good dive operators in that area? I have heard of Jupiter Dive Center? Anyone know anything about these guys? Thanks in advance for any help.

Tom

I'd recommend going with Paul at Jupiter Dive Charters (www.jupiterdivecharters.com). He runs an outstanding operation and has a "knack" for finding the lemon sharks!

Randy at Jupiter Dive Center also runs a good operation, but I've done more diving with Paul so I'm a little biased.

Let the Florida Conch Divers know when you're coming down. I'm sure a lot of us would love to join you!

Jupiter Dive Charters if you're coming from the north; Narcosis charters if you're driving up from the south and Ray is making a shark run.

http://www.jupiterdivecharters.com/

Captain Paul is the lemmon shark guru. My Avatar is a lemmon shark picture taken by a diver off of his boat.

I am not a big fan of the other operation out of jupiter. There are several threads here that you can read for yourself of Diver experiences on Randy's boat.

Eric

I sure screwed up the lemon sharks last year - I only went ONCE so I only got to see 70 sharks. It was my fault for waiting for people to clear their schedules to go diving.
When the lemon runs begin, those of you who have to work need to take time off during the week - one day off isn't going to kill you - and go diving. Everyone you meet on Temptation on the Jupiter Dive Charters boat will be cool. Captain Paul runs during the week, and if the seas are diveable and he doesn't get stuck on the sandbar going out, he'll be out there.
So don't make the mistake of seeing if this one wants to go, or that one is thinking about going - there's only a short window of opportunity to see the lemon sharks, so when they're running, you better get running as well.
The other operation up there has its fans and adherents; having dived two times with them, I am not one of them.

Tom Winters:
I sure screwed up the lemon sharks last year - I only went ONCE so I only got to see 70 sharks. It was my fault for waiting for people to clear their schedules to go diving.
When the lemon runs begin, those of you who have to work need to take time off during the week - one day off isn't going to kill you - and go diving. Everyone you meet on Temptation on the Jupiter Dive Charters boat will be cool. Captain Paul runs during the week, and if the seas are diveable and he doesn't get stuck on the sandbar going out, he'll be out there.
So don't make the mistake of seeing if this one wants to go, or that one is thinking about going - there's only a short window of opportunity to see the lemon sharks, so when they're running, you better get running as well.
The other operation up there has its fans and adherents; having dived two times with them, I am not one of them.
Kind of useless to say "Ditto", but I'll "Ditto" everything that Tom said. Another vote for Lemons and another vote for Paul at Jupiter Dive Charters.

be sure to bring a safety sausage and be ready to use it. they tend to dive
in larger groups up there and if you surface without the group for whatever reason
you need to be ready to make yourself visible to other boating traffic that may be present. sometimes the group leaders will not run a tow flag instead shoot up a lift
bag at the end of the dive to mark the group location, this does no good for any diver that may come up early for an emergency or any other reason. i invested in a larger
zeagle signal tube for my next time up that way. the drift diving and ledges are
excellent up there, enjoy your dives and be safe !

This is another reason that we are pushing you toward the Temptation. Their DM' trail a flag, always. They act like DM's not DC's (Diver Cowboys)

Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom