Key west

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharkbite92

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a 13 year old diver and my family are going to Key West on Christmas Day, and I was wondering if anyone recommends sites to go to, dive shops, and services, etc. I was also wondering about Looe Key. Is it a sweet place to go or what?

Thanx

been there often. Actually, Key West is not the best diving in the keys. The farther south you go the less great diving there is. Key largo is the best. But starting from Key west, looe key is the best. Looe is a fantastic reef. Lots to see, and really good variety. i would recommend looe key first when heading north from Key West. Next would be Sombrero Reef.

LJ

I actually found key largo slightly boring to dive. All very shallow stuff and not massively impressive reef. A few wrecks but the 2 deepest ones were sterilised artificial efforts. That said i did quite enjoy the Benwood.

Maybe it just didnt suit my idea of fun diving. Depends what youre looking for really.

Also, we are planning to use Underseas Inc. in Big Pine key diving in Looe key. Are they any good or should I find someone else?

String, Remember, that Shark is 13. He may not be up to your level of diving. I think there are plenty of decent wrecks around largo. Some are deeper to suit your tastes, and some are not prepared but they are farther out and the typical operator does not go out there.

Shark, As for Looe Key operators, I am not familiar with the one you mention. The one I use there is Looe Key Dive Center on Ramrod Key. The boat is unfortunately a catamaran, and large, and does sometimes have a lot of people on the weekends, but weekdays are less crowded. However, they are VERY professional, very safety conscious and they do some things the others don't. For example, they don't leave twice a day at 8 and 1 for two tank dives like all the other operators. They leave at 10 for a three tank dive for the same price. Some days they go to a wreck first, and then they head to the reef for the last two. Other days they do all three on the reef (call first). The nice thing about that is you get to the reef in between all the other operators shifts so there are less divers around. It is also better because three tanks are better than two. :clapping: They also grill hot dogs on the boat for your surface intervals. Not a big deal but you very rarely get hot food on a SI. Here is the link: http://www.diveflakeys.com/index.html

Go on a weekday an you will have a great time. Say hi to Capt Paul. He is the greatest.

LJ

Sharkbite,

There is an awesome store in Key West. I can't remember the name of it, but it was a massive dive shop. They had pretty much anything you could want for rec diving. This wasn't a small mom and pop shop. Maybe someone on here can tell you the name of it. I think it may have been on front street. They don't run any charters or anything, they just sell gear.

It's called World Water Sports or Divers Direct. The two companies merged last year. World Water Sports is the surviving company but they still carry the Divers Direct logo and web site. One block south of Front street actually. On the corner of Greene and Simonton

LJ

Hi Sharkbite,
My LDS (in WV) has been using Underseas Inc for years without a problem. I went on the trip last year and found they were fine. They have good safety gear, radio, O2, first aid kit, life vests, (everything a dive boat should have) etc and appear to know what they're doing.

The boat we went on was a pontoon-style boat, using a ladder for entry and exit. Our first dive was on the Alfonso/Anheisher/something-beginning-with-"A" Busch wreck (100'), and then we spent the remaining dives of the weekend on shallower (30'-40') reefs.

Dive safe and have fun!

LJ,

Thanks, that's the place!

J.

Hi Sharkbite,

My husband and I dove Looe Key and really enjoyed it. It's shallow and you can feel the surge rocking you back and forth as you dive, you just have to be careful you don't get rocked into the reef. We saw 7 or 8 nurse sharks on one dive which was really cool.
Ber :lilbunny:

(I moved your post to the Florida Conch Diver's section)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom