Shark diving in the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharkbite92

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to Key West (Big Pine Key, Looe key), and I'm a shark freak. I was wondering if there are any good places with a high chance of seeing sharks. Like Shark feeds or stuff like that.

Thanks,
Matt

Weren't those outlawed last year or something? I don't remember... something got outlawed.

It's illegal now to feed sharks in the water in the state of Florida. The land-based sharks still hover expectantly for their retainers though.

Hello again,
If you take a flashlight and look carefully around some of the reefs/overhangs you may see some smaller nursing sharks tucked away . They are well hidden though - I managed to swim past one only feet away without noticing.

Have fun!

French reef and Molasses reef had nurse sharks and black tips when I was there in July. I think someone had been feeding the nurse sharks as they followed us around like puppies, the black tips just hung around.

sharkbite92:
I'm going to Key West (Big Pine Key, Looe key), and I'm a shark freak. I was wondering if there are any good places with a high chance of seeing sharks. Like Shark feeds or stuff like that.

Thanks,
Matt

We saw Nurse sharks on just about every dive at the City of Washington. Generally several. I also saw them at French.

There are Bulls in the area, but I'm not sure show frequent sightings are, or if there is any time of the year where they are more likely to be seen.

There is a time of year when hundreds of hammerhead sharks gather at some reef near key west. I'm not sure when it is but maybe someone on this board will know.

I'm not aware of any schooling hammerheads off Key West. Might be out by the Dry Tortugas, but I don't know anything about it.

We regularly see Duskys, Caribbean Reefies and Nurse Sharks on Looe Key and the occasional Bull Shark.

Rachel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom