Looks Like the formus Might be making a Change LDS With BP/Wings in Central NJ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

java

Reaction score
Hi,
I have been posting a reading a lot in the last few days and I'll be darned but I am actually considering a BP/Wings setup !!
I have not made up my mind yet but considering that a few days ago I thought that I would never be convinced by the "tech zealots" here I find it amazing. Looks like that assumption was wrong :) .
Anyways I am in Central NJ (Ocean County) and the Halcyon site does not list any NJ dealers. Does anyone know a shop that sells them here? It is very likely that if I found one that did I would head to that LDS for my badly needed retraining and future training as well. So I am looking for a shop that pushes them and not just happens to have them but pushes the "look how pretty I am billboard ad fo manufacturer X".

I really owe loads of thanks to those who answered my posts as well as the participants in the many previous ones that I read.

Its interesting what an impact the internet is having on the sport. Such valuble information would have taken months to put together (if at all) before this board. Chances are that hundreds of divers using BP/Wings would not be if not for the availibility of this forum.

Thanks again

To illustrate what I will be going through trying to get any help with BP/Wings locally I am posting the gist of 2 phone calls I just had

Exchange 1
<me>Hi, Do you carry BP and wings?</me>
<LDS_1>UM never heard of that. What is it?</LDS_1>
<me>Its a Type of BC .....</me>
<LDS_1>Hey boss ever heared of backplate and wings?
Sorry sir but we don't know what it is and don't sell the stuff. We have some great BCs in the store so just drop by</LDS_1>
<me>Ask your boss if he ever heared of Halcyon or similar products</me>
<LDS_1>He didn't</me>
<me>Thanks and have a great day</me>

Exchange 2
<me>Hi, Do you carry BP and wings?</me>
<LDS_2>Want to repeat that?</LDS_2>
<me>You know a hard backplate with wings etc....</me>
<LDS_2>I think I heard of it. Its like real old fasion equipment but if you really want old stuff we can probably order it</LDS_2>
<me>Do oy carry anything from Halcyon or Dive Rite (trying to broaden my search lol)</me>
<LDS_2>No we do not but we can probably order it if you have exact information about the product</LDS_2>
<me>Will you be able to service it if you can order it?</me>
<LDS_2>I guess if we see it we might be able to figure it out</LDS_2>
<me>Thanks you very much</me>

Now my question. With no local support / knowlege etc how bad of a situation will I be getting into if I order it elsewhere?

If only the local LDSs read this forum !!!!

I was in a shop in western New Jersey last week. They had a lot of Dive-Rite stuff in the store. I didn't see any Backplates. I did see a lot of TranspacIIs. If they are a Dive-Rite dealer they can order whatever you want. You can check out Dive-Rite stuff at
http://www.dive-rite.com/

At the shop The guy's name was Harry,
website is www.kunuku.com
e-mail is kunuku@kunuku.com

Hope this helps

Dude,
Save yourself a bundle - Uncle Pug, GearHead, VTWarrenG, GearHead and NetPro....help me out here...

I too looked at the TransPac II's, and OMS IQ's as well....and I even spoke to OMS dealers, users, etc.

Do yourself a favor - don't waste $250+ on a 'tech' looking harness....buy a simple Halcyon harness and make it yourself. You'll save yourself money, and keep it simple. I have grown to love my rig. These are some of the mistakes I almost made in selecting my rig:

1. Halcyon harness CAN'T be comfortable - it has no back or shoulder strap padding.

2. Halcyon LOOKS TOO simple to work - not 'techie' enough looking - just 1 pc of webbing.

3. OMS IQ and DiveRite TP II looked more padded, with extra D-rings and accessories.

OK, keep this in mind too now (-):

1. OM IQ & TP II's will push your tank OUT further away from your body - try and reach your K or H valves with one of them on -I dare you too! REALLY hard to do!

2. I am a firm believer in STA's and a hard BP. Yes, the OMS IQ CAN accept a BP, but the TP II dos not.

Why are there tons of tech, wreck, deep and cave divers who have been and continue to use, traditional BP's and Wings STILL using them? because they KNOW they are simple, reliable rigs w/o all the mass slaes and marketing that goes with it.

Remember: Some scuba gear manufacturers market gear for SALES and SALES DOLLARS - and many times it has NOTHING to do with good, useful gear.

Do yourself a copy - now, and save yourself years or aggravation, money and mistakes - go buy a copy of GUE's book, DIR: Doing It Right Fundamentals. Its about $20, and will save your hundreds of dollars of mistakes buying crap that scuba gear mfgrs sell in the name of 'tech diving gear.'

If you cannnot find a shop, call EXTREME EXPOSURE in Fla at:

http://www.extreme-exposure.com/page2.shtml

Dive-Rite makes Backplates and harnesses too!

PS. do you like riding on coatails???

Also, my tank is closer to my back with my transpac than it is with my BP and STA.

try thinking first, then typing

Sorry Bro,
Not when the dealer actually brough HIS into the shop and showed me what he meant! I doubted that when he told me, and asked to see it for myself. I couldn't do it, and neither could he.

So, thats 2:1 then..How in hell would I be able to reach it ANY easier submerged then on the surface?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom