Halcyon Eclipse-do you like it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

louis

Registered
Reaction score
I am considering driving 3 hrs to a store that sells the Halycon Eclipse. Do those of you who have used it, or have tried it, like the Eclipse? Any recommendations on accessoreis to purchase, or not purchase? I am single tank recreational diving in warm water.

I've seen better.

Warm water? You might like the Pioneer better... I sure would.

Specifically... I like the single layer design of the Pioneer much better for most warm water diving unless there is a specific need for the extra durability. However, IMHO, if you have that need, then it MIGHT be advisable to check out some alternatives. I believe that there are several options out there that seem to me, at least, to be significantly more 'durable' than the Eclipse.

Obviously, there are a lot of guys around here that like the Eclipse... so maybe the wing aint so bad. But I was a bit surprised by the outer shell material of the one that I handled.

Here's my tip, FWIW... if you want an inner bladder/ outer shell design, then take a look at the Agir single 32#. If you prefer a single layer, then definitely check out the Halcyon Pioneer.

Where do you live?

I have had mine for one season now, and love it. no shortcomongs that I can see. (except the price) Don't know your water temp, but I got the SS back plate, and use no wt. in a 3 mil suit. And in a 7mm suit, I use 6 lbs FW, and 8lbs SW. Great piece of equipment.

I live in the mid Atlantic states but will be diving exclusively in warm water--mostly the Carribean, maybe on occasion HI or even the SouthPacific if I get ambitious. I tend to be a bit of a wimp about temperature so will probably be using a 5 mm Farmer John type wetsuit. I have a trip to Belize booked for mid Jan 06 and just ordered a my first regulator as I have always before rented from the dive sites. So thought I would consider buying a bp/w. Have only used the rental vest type bc in the past.

I used to use a Scubapro glide BC but now much prefer the eclipse with a backplate and wing. Much less cluttered round the chest and it just feels less restrictive.

Would definitely recommend it.
HTH
Al

I love my eclipse.... I do not see myself switching from a Halcyon system again.. Dont drive three hours, if you dont have to ( Although proper fit and adjustment is crucial) buy online, I just purchased a new a few month ago for my wife. system from Fifth D http://www.fifthd.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_11&products_id=1 also looks like it is on sale right now for some reason.... 476.00!!!!!

I am happy with my Eclipse 30. For warm water single tank diving, it's great (see my profile pic). I think the stainless steel inflator is a bit gimmicky and pointless but other than that no complaints (apart from the price). I went with the Eclipse because I have seen a few punctured Pioneers - I don't know the circumstances of how some of them were punctured (and one of my instructor owns quite a few of them and has never had any problems) but the Eclipse seems a lot tougher. I used to dive with a Scubapro S-Tek/TravTek wing and I do sometimes wish that my Eclipse wing was a little bit smaller (say #20).

I've also heard good things about Oxycheq's Signature Series single tank wing but until recently, only the Halcyon was available in my area.

I went with the Eclipse because I have seen a few punctured Pioneers - I don't know the circumstances of how some of them were punctured (and one of my instructor owns quite a few of them and has never had any problems) but the Eclipse seems a lot tougher

If your'e not careful, when you set your gear down with a tank hooked up to it, its fairly easy to crush the wing between the steel backplate and the surface you set it on. This will cut into the wing and can cause a leak. careful!

Back
Top Bottom