ScubaPro KnightHawk vs BP/wing & which wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drew52

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Ok so I know there are many threads relating to this stuff but I want my own one with answers specific to me. Also where I can find them all in one place.

I currently have the ScubaPro Glide 2000 and have been considering upgrading to the Knighthawk as I'm keen on back inflation. After reading all these threads about back plates I'm thinking about getting a back plate & wing instead. I will keep my Glide 2000 to teach in so I have similar gear to my students but would like something different for my fun diving.

Any thoughts on the KnightHawk? (from those who have one or have dived with one)

As for backplates and wings. What brands are good? (Don't really know to much about them) Halcyon or Oxychec (not sure on spelling but you know what I mean)

Give me all your opinions and perhaps some reasons why you purchased, like or don't like a particular brand or model.

I am a new diver certified for a little over a year with 50 loged dives. I purchased a Nighthawk about a year ago and love it. The only draw back is it is a bit large and takes up a bit of room when packing for a dive trip by plane.

After back inflation I will never go back to a vest type BCD

I can recommend it as a great BCD.

Well I have a Knighthawk with a couple dozen dives on it that I'd sell you.

I use an Oxycheq Signature wing. I love it. Hands down no comparison in performance. Don't get me wrong I think the Knighthawk is well constructed and well thought out. There is a big difference though about having the majority of your weight spread out evenly over your lungs. I do wear a weightbelt, but only keep 10#'s on it. My horizontal trim is excellent.

FWIW - It took me a few BCD's and a couple of back inflate bcd's to finally arrive at a BPW. Once I got my Oxycheq I stopped looking. As to the difference between the Oxycheq vs. Halcyon - both are very comparable with minor design differences.

My friend Gratefuldiver speaks very highly of Tobin's (Deep Sea Supply) http://deepseasupply.com/ backplates and wings though as of yet I have not tried one.

Thanks, any more thoughts anyone. I have emailed Deep Sea Supply for some more info and help.

Anyone dived with the Poseidon Tech Harness. (BeSea range)

Sorry but I'm one those people that likes as much input as possible, continuosly change my mind, decide on something, check something else out go back to my original ideas then finally buy something completely different so... bring on the information.

I know oxycheq is available in South Africa so perhaps that will be what I have to buy but info is always good.

Can't comment on the Knighthawk, since I have never had one, but I can comment on BP/W's. I like the stuff from Deep Sea Supply. Their backplates have some innovative features that you won't find on any others. Their wings are very durable and well built. Their harnesses are pretty much the same as all the others. As far as adjustable harness versus hogarthian harness, that is something you will have to decide for yourself. I first thought the adjustable harness would be easier to don/doff, since it has buckles. Well, for me, the hogarthian harness is easier to don/doff and is just much more simple. It is very easy to customize the harness with d-rings or pockets as you like. The adjustable harnesses are not nearly as easy to customize in that way.

I guess if I was going to make a recommendation, I would say to look at several different bp/w systems from different manufacturers, if you can in your area. I didn't have that option, and had to just choose one and take the plunge. I chose the DSS single tank rig with 30# wing, and couldn't be happier with the quality of the gear or the service and information they have provided. I use a DUI Weight & Trim weight harness with my bp/w. It allows me to move the weight lower or higher on my hips to achieve proper trim, depending on what type of exposure suit I am wearing. Others just use a weight belt, but I think most people prefer not to put weight pockets on the harness waste strap, and I agree with that as well. Weight lower on my hips is better for trim in most situations. In summer, when diving with a SS plate and a shortie suit, I only need 2 pounds of weight, so I do put the weight in pockets on the waste strap then, but with a 7mil suit and 14 lbs of weight, lower is better so that I'm not top heavy.

www.deepseasupply.com

I haven't dived the Knighthawk ... but I wore out one of it's predecessor Superhawk BCD's. I loved it ... till I tried a backplate/wing system. Then I sold it and haven't dived anything but a backplate ever since.

Halcyon, Oxycheq, Deep Sea Supply ... I own them all, and they're all very nice gear. I have a preference for DSS backplates, as someone mentioned they have innovative features the others don't have (rubber harness protectors and plate weight systems). Of the three companies, the wings all dive very similarly ... so your choice will really boil down to personal preference, price, and availability. I currently use Halcyon on my primary singles rig, Oxycheq on my backup singles rig, and Deep Sea Supply on my doubles rig.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have three BP/W setups. Two Dive Rite plastic hard plates with 35-40lb wings for single tank diving. I also have STA's with Scuba Pro tank straps.

My third BP/W is a Dive Rite Stainless Steel 6 lb. plate with a 55 lb wing for diving doubles. I use standard harnesses on all three rigs and love their ease of use. They are simple and very durable.

As I dive with no weight in a 3 mm suit these rigs keep me horizontal with no effort.
When I dive dry it's 8 lbs on a weight belt and I'm good to go.

I also teach and use conventional jacket BCD's with new students. In Advanced class I show the students the BP/Wing and let them see how it works. I have several jacket BCD's and an excellent back inflation BCD but none work as well for me as the backplates and wings.

QUOTE=drew52]Ok so I know there are many threads relating to this stuff but I want my own one with answers specific to me. Also where I can find them all in one place.

I currently have the ScubaPro Glide 2000 and have been considering upgrading to the Knighthawk as I'm keen on back inflation. After reading all these threads about back plates I'm thinking about getting a back plate & wing instead. I will keep my Glide 2000 to teach in so I have similar gear to my students but would like something different for my fun diving.

Any thoughts on the KnightHawk? (from those who have one or have dived with one)

As for backplates and wings. What brands are good? (Don't really know to much about them) Halcyon or Oxychec (not sure on spelling but you know what I mean)

Give me all your opinions and perhaps some reasons why you purchased, like or don't like a particular brand or model.[/QUOTE]

Drew

I bought a number of Halcyon BP/Wings from Atomic in Capetown. They have great prices at the moment. Speak to Franco Cloete 021 930 7333.

We use:

Wife: Halcyon SS Plate, Pioneer 27lb with 12L Steel Cyl.
Son: Halcyon SS Plate, Pioneer 27lb with 12L Steel Cyl.
Self: Halcyon SS Plate, Pioneer 27lb with 15L Steel Cyl.
Self: Halcyon SS Plate, Explorer 55lb with 2x15L Steel Cyl.

Prior to this I used both a Poseidon Jacket and Scubapro S-Tek.
Sold the Poseiden swiftly, still have the Scubapro but want sell that as well.

The single piece webbing is great for my son as it grows with him (he is 14 now).

PM me if you need more info.

Kobus

I can't comment on the BP/W setups, although it seems that everyone here loves them. But as an owner of a KnightHawk, I surely do love it after 50 dives or so. The small pockets in the BCD are a bit of 'a joke', but besides that, it's a beauty to dive in. Keep in mind, I dive strictly tropical areas, with minimal or no wetsuit at all, so I don't use alot of weight. I suppose one day, I should try the BP/W but until that day comes (when I have more money) I will stick to my Hawk!!!

SA-Diver:
Drew

I bought a number of Halcyon BP/Wings from Atomic in Capetown. They have great prices at the moment. Speak to Franco Cloete 021 930 7333.

We use:

Wife: Halcyon SS Plate, Pioneer 27lb with 12L Steel Cyl.
Son: Halcyon SS Plate, Pioneer 27lb with 12L Steel Cyl.
Self: Halcyon SS Plate, Pioneer 27lb with 15L Steel Cyl.
Self: Halcyon SS Plate, Explorer 55lb with 2x15L Steel Cyl.

Prior to this I used both a Poseidon Jacket and Scubapro S-Tek.
Sold the Poseiden swiftly, still have the Scubapro but want sell that as well.

The single piece webbing is great for my son as it grows with him (he is 14 now).

PM me if you need more info.

Kobus

Thanks Kobus I will contact them

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom