Diverite Weight Pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amphibious

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Someone want to give me the lowdown on the "new" diverite weight pockets? I used to own a transpac with the old style ones, looks like they have flipped them upside down now? and there are some little clips on top? Considering a set of the small ones, but won;t have a chance to get my hands on them.

thanks

When I bought my TransPlate it came with the medium size pockets that were actually wayyyyy too big for me. But when I looked at the price of what DR wanted for the small size ones....$100....I said screw that and went with a pair of Zeagles for only $40 and they work just as good.

I DESPISE my TransWeight 16's. If I didn't pay so much for them, I would have thrown them away rather than stuff them in the closet.

Some posters don't have a problem with them. But I hate the things. Tried numerous mounting options all over my TransPac. The way they are angled back is simply lame. It consistently screws up my buoyancy when I try to hover horizontally.

To me, the TransWeight16 is one of the few pieces of dive gear I've purchased that I consider designed badly enough not to use. But I'm very picky.

I guess I'm a bit more fortunate than Archman!
I've used the Transweight 16's for a while now and haven't had any problems. But then the most weight I carry, since going the steel tank route, is 10 pounds.

Dive Rite also makes some smaller pockets that will hold up to a 5 pound soft weight.

The only problem I had with the Transweights or pockets is that they can slide. I remedied that situation by having some custom tri-glides cut out of stainless steel at work.

the K

I've got the 16's and they're mounted all the way back behind the shoulder strap mounts. They don't move and my bouyancy is spot on. Like Kraken, I only use 8-10 pounds.

archman:
I DESPISE my TransWeight 16's. If I didn't pay so much for them, I would have thrown them away rather than stuff them in the closet.

Some posters don't have a problem with them. But I hate the things. Tried numerous mounting options all over my TransPac. The way they are angled back is simply lame. It consistently screws up my buoyancy when I try to hover horizontally.

To me, the TransWeight16 is one of the few pieces of dive gear I've purchased that I consider designed badly enough not to use. But I'm very picky.

Wanna trade for the old style 32s? They take up all available room on my waist strap.

I got them on a bp and i love them. at first when i installed them like diverite wated they moved and were nothing that i wanted but after some time of playing with them i bolted them to my bp and now there the best things i bought.

spyder:
I've got the 16's and they're mounted all the way back behind the shoulder strap mounts. They don't move and my bouyancy is spot on. Like Kraken, I only use 8-10 pounds.

In a pinch could you get rid of any weight from that position though? I find that to be the best place for my trim too but no way could I get to the buckle with my gloves on.

I don’t quite despise the Transweight 16 pockets but dislike them big time. I use only 3lbs per pocket, and the lead sloshes around and occasionally ‘jumps’ the inner pouch out of the outer pocket (leaving it hanging outside, stretching on the velcro and giving a feeling of lost pocket). For me at least the pocket design is too high and unstable. If I place them more towards front, it enables opening the buckles but sloshing/instability increases to unacceptable level.

Also, I wish they made the backing of the pocket stiffer and the slot for the belt sturdier - the seams on the latter are already showing wear and my pockets are pretty new and well cared for. My vote is not going to go for these puppies.

Wish I could post a picture but my camera and TransPac aren't handy. I took the shoulder straps off the waist belt, threaded the weight pouches on, then put the shoulder straps back on. The shoulder straps are pretty far back which keeps the weight pouches from moving around yet are easy to reach, almost like reaching for my wallet. Mine have velcro with a pull ring not buckles. So far I haven't had any of the problems reported regarding surprise ditching due to the velcro. Overall I'm pretty pleased with the whole setup. I'm using a Scubapro Mk18 and don't have the head banging reported either.

I had the 32's and they would throw weight on roll in entries. I switched to the 16's with the "new" design and mounted them behind the shoulder straps on the waist belt. I have not had an issue with these. My trim is good but they do hang down a little and it looks funny to others but I really haven't noticed it or been caught dragging on anything.

Overall, I think they are alright but I have seen better solutions.

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom