TUSA v. Zeagle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ns2ny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Greetings folks.

I am new to the list and wanted to see if I can get some insight before I make a buy. After lots of looking around, I am narrowing it down between the Zeagle Concept II Pro or the TUSA Imprex Pro. The TUSA is comfortable, very adjustable, pockets and 6 D rings where the Concept is comfortable but has no pockets, no "real" D rings, and (if reports are correct) a bit off balance.

At some level, it seems like a no brainer to the TUSA. But as I have tried to find out more about the product, I see very little on this (or other boards).

Anyone have guidance or suggestions or even other recs?

dr

TUSA?

My opinion - junk. Mu friends TUSA Reg free flows all the time...all the way up from a 130 ft quarry dive he did last year. I'd personanly never by ANY TUSA overseas junk.

Get yourself a BP and wings man, and ditch the BC's.

Hi DR and welcome to the board.

I have no experience with the Tusa so I can't comment on it. I do however have 2 Zeagles, a Ranger that I use for more demanding dives and a Scout that I use for warm water diving. I like both of them. Not sure where the "off balance" thing came from but I have had no trouble getting good trim on either BC. Both took some playing with but got it spot on after a few tries. Unless you are going to be hanging really heavy stuff off the delron D-rings on the Concept, I would not worry about them not being steel, I have not had a problem with them over the years. If you do intend to have heavy stuff off them, like stage bottles or ponys then you may want to look at a little heavier BC to start with. As you are new to this board I will warn you about the "BP/wings or nothing" members of the board, they can get a little overbearing at times. BP/wings are great pieces of gear and worth looking at but there are some of us who prefer, me for one, a more traditional BC.

I have no experience with TUSA, but I love my Zeagle Ranger. Like Herman, I chose the traditional BC over the backplate and wings. I like things with all the bells and whistles. I doubt that you will be unhappy with whatever piece of equipment you choose, you'll be diving, and that's what is important. You won't regret buying a Zeagle though.

Mel

I have the Tusa Imprex Pro.. never tried the Zeagle, though.

I *love* the Imprex Pro. Like you said, it's very comfortable, and even with the pockets it's very, very streamlined. The pockets aren't all that useful (they're just two pieces of sandwiched material), but I keep a spare analog depth gauge and a slate in mine. I'm not sure how the Concept II is constructed, but the Imprex is made of a very heavyweight Cordura.

The weight pockets on the Tusa are a bit unique... they're way on the back of the BC, between your lower back and the bladder. Perfectly placed for me, i can maintain just about any attitude in the water I like.

I currently own the Tusa Imprex Pro, and feel that it is a decent BC, but here is the reason I am about to purchase a Zeagle Ranger.

Things I have problems with on the Tusa.
1. As you go down in depth, I have to keep tightning the BC.
2. Weight is situated on the Back. Normally this isn't an issue, but if you start diving dry the weight pushes on your lower back causing strain.
3. Amount of lift is very limited.
4. Weight holder doesn't hold very easily amount stated.

Why I am going with the Zeagle.
1. Like the ripcord weight drop.
2. Like the ease of use with putting the weight in.
3. The weight helps to push against my sides, so I don't feel I need to tighten BC at depths.

Those are a few of the issues I have encountered. If you look at just doing wet diving, for the price the Tusa is a good bet, if you see yourself expanding in your diving area, I would go with the Zeagle.

My two cents.

Good Luck,

Darren

Get a BC that fits you and not you fitting the BC.

And what BC is that?

NOT a BC but a BP and harness and wing.

Costs the about the same as a BC but is more versatile and you can customize it to your own needs or lack thereof.

Originally posted by buff
Costs the about the same as a BC but is more versatile and you can customize it to your own needs or lack thereof. [/B]

Cost about the same?? Granted, I am not an expert on BP's but these are the prices I took from an on-line Haylcon dealer. I think I have all the necessary equipment.

40 lb wing $338
BP/w harness $188 (SS and AL were the same)
Weight system $118 (My BC's have intergrated weights so the BP should also)
Single tnk adp$ 98
BP pad $ 51 (I know you don't need one but my BC has a pad)

That adds up to $793, more that I have in my Ranger and my Scout combined. Add the cost of a small travel wing and the price goes up an another couple of hundred. By no means cheaper than my 2 BC's which will do almost everything a BP will do and I can loan my other BC to a friend if I want. No doubt BP's are great pieces of gear, but unless I just can't find good prices, they are not cheaper.

Thanks everyone for your insight. With a coupe of exceptions, clearly the TUSA is not on folks hot list...

After trying on nearly 2 dozen BCs within my price range (around 300) I finally found a place witht the DiveRite Recpac. Tried it on and really liked it. Then I tried the TransPac II and knew this was the one for me.

Certainly more than I was hoping to pay but I liked the fit, feel and configurability of the TransPac.

So maybe I will eat a little more cat food rather than the fillet mignons for the next few months :wink: but I think this will keep me happy for many dives ahead.

Thanks again for your help and advice.

dr

i am considering a TUSA imprex pro, for use during an IDC. I tried one on, and it was fine. The quality was not any better or worse than the Zeagle.

The Concept is another one i am looking at. It is fine, I just dont like the idea of reloading the rip cord system over and over again.

Dont let people push you into a BP wing setup if is not what you need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom