How to configure independent doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlarbale

Contributor
Reaction score
All,

Just a general question to see how people run the hoses on Independents. My current view - if your diving independents then your probably solo so why have a long hose. If your not diving solo then just have the one long hose and deal with an OOA in the normal manner but hand off the long hose.

OK I know there's an extra step in there for OOA to determine which hose is the long one but is this really a concern if your buddies are all diving independent config. Basically an OOA situation shouldn't be a rush affair as total air loss is not a possibility.

I don't want to start a debate about diving independent or not! I'm just curious about the different configs as I know a few people that dive 2 long hoses on independents (seems a bit overkill for the reasons stated above).

Thanks - Dave.

Dave,
I think you answered your own question. If you are diving solo there is no need for having a long hose. There is no sense carrying extra equipment that can add on to task loading or get tangled in something. When diving I make it a habbit of marking all of my regulators with either a tag or yellow tape. I either mark the tag/tape with the 02 percentage or B for bottom mix. As far as equipment configurations when I have a student I will teach him both ways of diving independents or with a isolation manifold. Let the student make up his own mind on what he feels comfortable with, he is the one who has to be comfortable in the water. There are so many positive and negatives with each one, you just have to weigh them out and use what you feel comfortable with.

Bruce

If you plan on diving independents, I would recommend getting a big pack of flourescent zip ties. zip tie the SPG with the same color as the reg to avoid confusion. It really makes life easier.
No long hose needed if everyone is on indies.

Hi all,

I'm looking for a system to attach two regular "resort" tanks as independent doubles to my BC (Mares Synchro Power Tech). There is a set availabe from APValves, but apparently it can only be used with the "Buddy" BC series (http://www.apvalves.com/Prdtsfrmset.html). Is this true? Any recommendations on other "Twin Set Kits".

Thanks

You can use the Buddy bands to join two tanks together then use an extra long cam band (or two depending on your BC) to go around the whole lot and join it to your BC

Nick,

so there are no bolts to attach the tanks to the BC? My BC has two holes that can be used to attach doubles. I'm not sure whether a setup with doubles attached to the BC via two cam bands is stable enough.

What about taking a stage reg setup and some straps and rigging one of the resort tanks as a stage? I was thinking about doing that in Bonaire, but it wasn't worth the trouble.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom