Mobility with BP/Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drew52

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Ok last Backplate question from me i promise.

Can anyone tell me what mobility is like with a BP/Wing. When I'm DM'ing or diving with students I often like to roll over onto my back so I can easily see everyone.

I've never dived with back-inflation or a wing and I am just wondering how this is effected with a wing.

Is it easier then a traditional jacket style BC, more difficult or not something to even consider as the difference is minimal?

One last question. What amount of lift do I need? I'm 1.94meters tall and weigh around 100kg. I usually dive with 8-14kg's as I dive with a 7mm 2-peice or a drysuit.

Thanks

Andrew

I've never dived with a traditional jacket style BC other than my CW dives, but I've never had problems orienting myself the way I want in a back inflate or wings.

I think you will find that the BP/W gives you more freedom of movement, as well as better horizontal trim.

I first switched from a traditional jacket to a backinflate jacket and found it a good improvement. I now (some months ago) made the switch to a BP/W and wonder why I didn't do this much earlier.
The "uncluttered feeling" reminds me very much of the time when I used to dive without a jacket at all.

And donning/doffing is a lot easier as well, to a large extent due to the Hog harness.
Recommend you find someone who has one, and try it.
f.h.

With bp/w system you have basically the same mobility and there are advantages and disadvantages to both types of systems. I have both (ZEAGLE bp/Manta Wing and ZEAGLE RANGER) and if I'd I have to choose one over the other as a primary I'd go with the RANGER-just my opinion. I agree with deepseafalcon: Recommend you find someone who has one, and try it.

Rap

It will give better horizontal trim, but since the buoyancy is located entirely behind your back, it will be more difficult to lie on your back or on your side. It's not very hard, but it requires more balance and control... and the more neoprene/breathing gas you bring along, the harder this will be since you will have more air in the wing.

I find just the opposite. I have no problem at all swimming on my side, or upsidedown. In fact, swimming upsidedown is the easiest, the neg. douyancy of the tank, is below me, the pos bouy. is above it, combine that with pos bouy of exposure suit and you center nicely. It's just a little diferent in a BPW, not harder. Once a BPW is properly set up to you, AND you get used to the complete control you now have, I am willing to bet you will never go back to a conventional BC. If you think about it, BC's are generally made for the masses, those with little, or no skills when entering the sport. They are like training wheels, designed to hold the wearer in position, with little stress. Little skill is needed, and control is thrown out of the quotient. A BPW, on the other hand, is desined to do what YOU want, at any time, in any position, Some people find this a little disconcerting in the begining. But only because the training wheel effect is not there, once you get used to it YOUR HOOKED!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom