The NEW United Carribean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MB

Obi-MB-Kenobi
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Ms Wilma has put a twist into everyone's dive plans for the fall. Between the continuing winds, high seas, and poor viz, there were lots of cancelled dives in October & Nov. Knowing this we took a chance and scheduled a trip on Turkey Day to continue an old tradition...

It was well worth it! Capt Tony of the Diversity (Deerfield Beach) took the group out, only his 5th trip since Wilma. To everybody's surprise, seas were raging at 1', and viz had opened up to 35'. We wanted to explore some of the inside wrecks, just to see how the season's storms had treated them.

There was mo discernable difference to the Sea Empress, with the minor exception of some additional tunneling in the sand along some parts of the hull. In addition, the concrete culverts next to the barge are still in place. The sea life is as energetic as ever. We were met by two of the resident Southern Rays, a free-swimming I Am Curious Green Moray, and two Jewfish. One was in the 60-80 pound range, and the 2d was a Volkswagen.

For the second dive, we crossed over to the United Carribean. This wreck was damaged during last year's storms, with a section cracked away from the main hull. The result of this year's storms has completely altered her. The UC is now completely broken into sections, with the wheelhouse resting on its side. Divers used to finning down the outside covered walkways will now enter these areas as tunnels, with the cabin area acting as a ceiling, and the walkway serving as a lateral side. Strange indeed. Those used to entering the cabins, engine room, etc would be wise to explore this wreck in several progressive dives. Its different, and there is no shortage of ratty structure. Also, the bow is completely separated from the wheelhouse, and part of the wreck is a debris field, perhaps 100' away. Lower vis precluded getting a "big picture" look at the former wreck, but what I saw was amazing!

Local Conchs have been known to roll their eyes at the thought of diving the UC (again!), but this now a brand new wreck, and its beautiful! If the UC looks like this, I have to wonder about the Ancient Mariner and other inside wrecks up and down the coast. We could have a lot of interesting dive reports here pretty soon!

Oh yeah, the company was excellent too, but I think they are still taking their triptophan naps...

I too expect to see more reports of huge changes. the Castor has a huge piece of her Starboard side ready to snap off with a few more Tens of Thousands flexations of the swaying piece of metal.

Cool news! We are going down there to dive with Capt. Tony and the Diversity in mid December. Looking forward to visiting the "new wreck". Dove it several times in the past, while it's always been enjoyable, change is good!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom