Saw my FIRST White Tip Shark Today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HowardE

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
What happens when a guy who usually shoots video leaves his camera behind, because of housing malfunctions? You see something cool of course.

We were on Gazebo Reef off of Boynton (me and Michelle, and moneysavr) with Splashdown this morning, when I see a white tip reef shark... It was a pretty big one, probably about 6' if not slightly larger. The shark didn't see me at first, and I had a good vantage point (where if I had my camera, I could have gotten GREAT FOOTAGE)

I signaled everyone to look and they all saw the shark too. The shark turned, and swam towards me, and i thought about the old "yellow" thing, which is the color of my flashlight that I was pointing at the shark with. The shark came towards me to about maybe 10' away... My SAC went from .5 to .9... but then it swam calmly away.

It was way cool. But alas... no video. :11doh:

I forgot to mention... 60' + viz... 78 degrees F for water temp. Very mild current.

Yep never fails. The kodak moment always occurs when the camera is on the boat or is broken. But alias there is always another dive, and more shark encounters await. So don't give up hope.

Good Diving,

So true Capt Gary... I'm sure you know I won't give up hope... Still hoping for the whale shark, frogfish, and a pod of dolphins.

Speaking of a pod of Dolphins, we have a pod of 15 following us out of Tavernier Creek Friday. I did a couple of circles and they were jumping out of the water doing flips. Hopefully you will be on the boat next time we encounter some.

Good Diving,

Cool Howard. One of these days I will see a shark other than a nurse.

Dude...

I looked up oceanic reef sharks, but this one definitely had a pointy dorcel fin. not curved, like you were saying. Definitely white on the top of the dorcel fin too... I wish I had brought my darn camera.

hum
sounds like a fish story to me...

JK man

awesome sight tho..

ill ive ever seen is dogfish up this way
and ya know............... i think im ok with that

Ray

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom