Should I switch to BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

midwestdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Currently diving with a sherwood freedom. Like it but it's a bit on the heavy and bulky side which is sorta inconvenient since I usually fly long distances to dive. Was wondering, is there a big learning curve in switching to a BP/W set-up? Not really going to tek diving or anything but looking at the pics of set-ups, they appear to be quite compact and easy for travelling. I could be wrong but I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

midwestdvr

You would probably be a happier diver if you did!

But SHOULD you? That's a question that can be answered only by and for yourself.

the K

The only learning curve for me was learning to get out of the thing. Diving in it was easy.

I am in similar situation, flying long distances to tropical waters. I have only ever used a regular vest type bc, but figure now that I am going to buy my own gear for the first time, will go ahead and get a bp/w. I go to Belize in Jan 06 and will post how it all worked out on my return. I have done intense research over the past 4 or 5 days here on scubaboard and after talking via email with manufactures for Halcyon, DSS and Zeagle--plan on most likely getting the DSS. I should note that each of the representatives for these companies has been very patient with my questions. Not an easy decision when I live hours from the nearest dealer for any of these bp/w's and thus can't really go check them out first hand. The cost is not unsubstantial and, of course, it is an item upon which your life will depend. Thus, I can empathize if the decision is a little agonizing.

I recently switched to BP&W and really like it over a conventional BC. I switched for different reasons that the ones you've mentioned. I dive pretty much cold water only and heavy steel tanks are hard on your back. The BP gives me more support, stability and shifts more of the weight off my waist. My BP is stainless steel and with the combined weight plates is a heavy 14 lbs. Since you are looking for reduction in bulk a plastic BP might be the way to go, it will depend on the type of diving you're doing. There are lots of choices and suppliers out there and you will hear good things about several. I ended up buying mine from an outfit in CA, Deep Sea Supply, http://www.deepseasupply.com, their prices are very competitive and they offer different setups. When all is said and done, as K says above only you can answer that question.

I dove a freedom when I first started and was kicking myself for not going BP/W sooner. It is much more compact and easier to travel with. If you go with a hogarthian harness, then it can be trying to get into and out of as TSandM points out. There are also adjustable harnesses available that make that much easier, but they aren't quite as simple and streamlined, although they are much more so than the freedom.

Go for it, you'll love it. The only reason I'd get an aluminum or plastic plate would be for diving with steel tanks in warm water, especially if you currently need less than 5lbs with a steel tank in salt water. In that situation, a steel plate might make you a bit top heavy trim wise; but with an AL80 the steel plate is great. As far as travel, it's much more compact than a standard BC, and well worth carrying the 5lbs in your luggage.

Back
Top Bottom