Hilma Hooker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Narced

Reaction score
I just dove this little wreck last week and was pretty surprised by how much I enjoyed it. The middle of the wreck lies on a 95 foot bottom, making it easily accesible without any special math/mixes etc. The boat appears to loom over you suddenly as you approach, making it seem much larger than it actually is. The wheelhouse is open and easy to swim through. There is more forward that gets a bit tighter. There are no extensive corridors, just a simple smuggling boat sunk nearly upside down at 95 feet.

I just found this to be a really enjoyable dive as we approched from the south over another dive site so as to use our approach time to it's fullest, and I had plenty of time at that depth to look her over. I guess my point is that I found this wreck particularly fun because of how easy it is. The wreck is big enough that it looms over you and attract larger residents of the reef to hang out below it waiting to make you involuntarily pee your wet suit. At the same time, the wreck is mostly open and easy to see almost every inch of on a single dive provided you bring a good light.

I just really enjoyed this wreck and wanted to know what others who have dove this site think of it?

I like the Hooker as well. We usually dive it from shore. Last time I tried to dive it my ears had a different idea and did not make it to the wreck, real bummer. My favorite dive is just south of the Hooker, Angle City. I like the double reef and the sand channel. For those who don't know where the Hooker is, it on Bonaire. We were just there in June and I am ready to go back.

The Hooker is a great dive either from shore or from a boat. Bonaire has more great dive sites than most people can imagine. One of my favorite places. Go there at least once or twice a year.

We also were in Bonaire in June and dove the Hooker. My wife and I both enjoyed the dive. My wife was a little disappointed with the lack of abundant fish life. We did spot "many" seargant magor fish nests along the bottom of the boat. These looked like large purple circles, each one protected by a parent fish. Very Cool. We also dove Angel City and found it very interesting. Diving in Bonaire doesn't get any better.

Whether or not there is life under the Hooker seems to be a matter of daily luck. The first dive down we saw very little in the way of life there, but the second dive (very next morning) we saw a huge moray as well as tarpon under the wreck.

The couple who showed us how to navigate over from the south (over the reef the whole way out thet way) have documented seeing a shark there before as well as the eel and tarpon. Apparently there is a fairly large grouper that likes to hang out below sometimes as well (did not see him at tho :( )

If you liked the dive, do it again, you will probably get lucky next time. One of the things I keep hearing about the Hooker is that people get the hell scared out of them on a regular basis by large animals suddenly "popping out" at them.

why is the actual name on the boat, not the hilma hooker, but something not even close

Shuzbut, Erikharwell... that's what I was going to ask. It's amazing the number of folks that dive her, yet never notice that the name on the boat is not "Hilma Hooker".

(And no fair for those of you who are Bonaire regulars)

As best as I can find the Hilma Hooker was the last name of the ship. It appears to have had several names over the years she was in service but that's not uncommon for ships. Here is her story as told by Bruce Bowker who is a long time dive operator on Bonaire.

http://www.caribinn.com/hilmahooker.html

Ahhh, but Herman, that's not the name on the "name plate" on the vessel itself :D

:05: Hummm, well I am going to have to look next chance I get.....lets see that's 45 days away. Come on July!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom