Can you reach your valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cecilb63

Contributor
Reaction score
I can't. I'm pretty flexible too and can certainly reach around behind my head. But the tank is too far out of reach even for stretch from the Fantastic Four. I have tried to reposition tank higher to get a hold of it but no way.

I have a seaquest pro. I guess my BD is a little large then?

You can always try two things......try reaching under the tank with one hand and push it up so you can reach the valve with the other OR follow the hoses to find/reach it easier.

That's a safety issue, Cecil. I used to think reaching those things was impossible - and it is tougher with a single than with doubles. But it's not, provided your gear fits and your tank is in proper position.

You should be able to reach without having to lift it, either, like Tamas suggested. It would really suck to rely on that technique and discover you're tangled up and it's impossible.

There are some great shoulder stretching exercises you can do - I followed these and they did wonders... I can reach any of my valves with no problem now, even with my drysuit and underwear: http://divefitness.com/html/articles/article_pdfs/should_stretch.pdf

It also helps to think of reaching Over your head rather than arround.

Put your arm straight out in front of you. Move your hand straight up and back, sorta like slicking back the hair.

This way lets your hand get more down your back than reaching to the side.

It is really a good idea to be able to easily reach your valve so if this doesn't get you there find someone who can show you and help you get to the point that reaching your valve is easy.

I could do it with my old Seaquest Pro QD and a single tank too. :D
It may be difficult in the beginning but is possible with little effort and stretching. :wink:

Charlie99:
The other way this hint is expressed is "keep your elbow against your head, not off to the side". It's amazing how much difference this makes.

This definitely made a difference.

It's easier when you are using a bc jacket. When showing the students how to do it, we usually reach our left hand to the back on the lower left side of the bc and lift the bc up while our right hand reach for the valve (the way as Charlie99 suggested).

cecilb63:
I can't. I'm pretty flexible too and can certainly reach around behind my head. But the tank is too far out of reach even for stretch from the Fantastic Four. I have tried to reposition tank higher to get a hold of it but no way.
The others are correct. Its a huge safety issue. The day will come when being able to grasp and turn your tank valve may make a huge difference. For those who have been in motorcycle accidents or have surgical issues, etc. there are slobwinders. Stretching and practicing are also good suggestions, but the bottom line is that if you can't reach your tank valve then take action to correct that situation. Its not that tough.

It could potentially make the difference between coming up and not coming up one day.

Hmmm... 4 shoulder rebuilds (the last one 10/27/2004) and I still can reach back and grab that ole valve after a few months of rehab to get range of motion back (2 months immobilized after last surgery). In fact, it was a priority to get that reach back range restored because I couldn't dive until I had that... I didn't feel comfortable diving if I could reach around to untangle myself from that silly line my dive flag is towed along with or the crab trap line we find floating around. :)

Charlie99:
The other way this hint is expressed is "keep your elbow against your head, not off to the side". It's amazing how much difference this makes.

Yes.

there are a few things that almost all divers do wrong in the beginning. They point their elbow out to the side which severely limits their reach. As Charlie says, point the elbow foreward.

They lean their head foreward as they reach back which limits their reach. Arch your back and tilt your head back NOt foreward. With your elbow against your head and pointing foreward you can even guid and help push your arm back with your head.

They tend to go head up where gravity is working against them. Stay horizontal.

Another thing I've noticed is that some bc's and even wings have part of the air cell between the tank and the diver so when you put air in the tank is pushed further away. Don't use those.

I've also seen divers who reached plenty far back but just to the wrong place and they were convinced that they weren't reaching far enough back. You need to learn where it is.

I'm not very flexibal and that hasn't changed but I can reach my valves. It was a matter of learning how.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom