Oahu Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mouth Breather old

Contributor
Reaction score
Just got back from my third trip to Hawaii in the last 8 months. Got certified back in April and have dived Northern California at least 2x a month since then. This trip (10 days) I completed my AOW with "Waikiki Diving" located right near all the hotels on Waikiki. They are the same guys that I got certified with back in April. They are a family owned business (mom runs the shop, sons David and Mike take turns as captain and instructor, Dad started the company back in the 70's) and are the oldest dive operation in Oahu. They also operate the newest custom dive boat in Oahu. It can hold 12 divers but I have never been on it with more than 8 divers at a time. First class operation with hotel pick-up and drop off. They dive Koko Crater (about 60 feet) and the aptly name Turtle Canyon (about 40 feet). For deeper dives they take us out to the Corsair. A Navy carrier plane that went down during WWII and sank completely intact in 105 feet of water. Very cool dive...you can sit in the cockpit and have your picture taken at the controls. the tailhook is still deployed behind the plane. I guess the pilot ditched the plane after a failed landing attempt. Visibility was 80 to 100 feet on all dives and water temp was 78 degrees.

Also dove a shipwreck on the calm west (leeward) side of Oahu. The "The Mahi" is a chinese smuggling ship that went down around 1985. It sits upright in about 90 feet of water. A school of eagle rays can usually be seen "flying" around the wreck. Visibility was also about 100 feet and water temp was around 80. The second dive will take you to Makaha Caverns. Depth varies from 25 to 40 feet. The caverns are a series of lava tubes and caves that even new divers can swim through. The depth is pretty shallow and you can easily see from one end of the tube to the other. I think the longest "tube" I swam through was only about 30 feet long. The diameter of the tube was about 4-5 feet. The company that took me out there was "Captain Bruce".

The west side of the island boasts the calmest surface conditions as lots of spinner dolphins.

I read a report from Ms Tomato that complained of "rude natives" and I couldn't disagree with her more. The main reason that I go to Hawaii so much is that I am amazed at the kindness and the spitit of Aloha that permeates the place. I am not exagerating when I tell you that I have never heard anyone honk their horn in over three years (2 to 4 trips a year averaging 10 days each) I have been in traffic jams that I swear were caused by the locals all waving each other thru. I find it amazing because I would expect the locals to become jaded and fed up with the tourists and the negativity that so many of them import. I'm not just talking about the people in the nice hotels...even the typical fast food counter person or ordinary Joe working the 7-11 smiles, makes eye contact, and goes out of their way to be nice. Call 411 information in Hawaii and you would swear that you were talking to a favorite auntie.

How much do I love Hawaii? Well I'm sure that there is may be warmer or more spectacular diving elsewhere, but the people keep me coming back for the surface intervals that occupy much more of my time than any time spent under water. The people are so wonderful that I am allowing my daughter to go to the University of Hawaii (summer school started last week and Fall semester to follow)

I'm really glad to hear you had a good time out here.

I had to chuckle with your description of the traffic jams caused by "too much" aloha - too true! In fact, when we get frustrated by the driver in front of us that is bound and determined to let EVERYONE in, what do we call them - Mr./Mrs. Aloha!

With your daughter attending UH, she will soon become a bona fide "local". You and the rest of your family will then be "local by association". :) Of course, with the number of visits you have made recently, you're probably already considered local.

One thing great about living here is the "connection" that exists when you encounter other people from Hawaii in other parts of the world. My first experience of this was when I first moved to San Antonio, TX - I had just started a new job, and in casual conversation, a customer found out I was originally from Hawaii. Two days later, this woman I had never met before descended to my workplace as the "ambassador" of a loosely formed "Hawaii Club" - transplanted locals living in the area - she was just tickled pink that she had found someone else from Hawaii in their area.

I've never heard of Waikiki Diving - probably because I avoid the Waikiki congestion as much as possible - but they sound like a nice operation. I may look them up.

Hope to hear of many future visits here from you!

I am jealous that you get to visit paradise so often. I wish i were fortunate enough to attending school there, instead of Kentucky. I visited for the first time in March and someday I hope to return there again soon, and hopefully for good. I will agree somewhat with Ms. Tomatoe that some people wereless than friendly, but it usually seemed to be associated with the hustle and bustle of Waikiki. The people on the north shore were extremely friendly. Hopefully I can find a job there and become a local myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom