Florida Dive Show Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jviehe

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Yes, I know its not till this weekend, but Im on may way now and have stopped in gainesville. On the way I stopped by Orange Grove and Royal Springs to check out conditions. OG had 40ft visibility, and Royal about 20. I also came accross a FWC employee diving the ramp at Royal to assess conditions. Heres some pics.

Great pics - thanks for the report

Day 2

I headed off from Gainesville to Melbourne and stopped by Paradise Spring along the way. Visibility looked good there, about 40ish. THen I headed towards Blue Spring in Orange City, but I didnt make it due to traffic. Heres more pics!

Yeah, call me sometime. 850-321-4299. Ill be there all day.

Day 3. Finally I went diving. I headed out with Splashdown Divers out of Boynton Beach for a couple of dives. First we dove the M/V Castor, and 200ft frieghter sunk as an Artifical Reef. It lies about a mile offshore in 118ft of water. Waves were small thankfully, visibility was about 40ish, and little current. I didnt see any amazing life, but it had a lot of fish and was a reat long dive. I dove 34% nitrox on a stell 95 so I had lots of bottom time.

After that we headed to Lynns reef nearer to shore in 45ft of water and drifted around a bit. We saw a big green moray, filefish, a puffer, and all the usual tropicals.

After diving, I headed off for the first day of the dive show. THe tech lectures started at 6pm with Mike Barnett showing some cool video about ten deep wrecks in florida. After that John Chatterton and RIchie Kohler of Deep Sea Detectives gave is a recounting of their discovery of the U869 uboat off New Jersey. Great guys and a great lecture. Last we had a rebreather forum and discussed a numbers of topics dealing with rebreathers. Here come the pics!

Day 4

Today I again headed back to the show for some more tech conference talks. First up was a tlak by Capt Jim Mims about the Hydro Atlantic, a deep wreck off the florida coast. Then I walked around the show and check out the various booths. While the show isnt very large yet, I recognized a few people, and talked with solme of the manufacturers. There actually seemed to be more of a tech presense than recreational. Very few recreational businesses were there, but Dive Rite, OMS, Oxycheq, and the various tech orgs were all present. I also stopped by the Scubaboard booth and talked with Netdoc. After seeing all there was at the show, I went to a a lecture by Gary Gentile, the famed Doria diver, and he talked about his Expedition to the Lusitania, and the SS Coolidge in the south pacific. Hes a great speaker. Well, that was it for the show. I think I saw it all, and will go diving again tommorow. Pics can be found here - http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/1343

Nice reports. Sorry I missed ya yesterday when you stopped by the booth. Oh well, maybe next time.

Hey scuba jenny, how did you like that "R" thingy across your booth at the far end? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom