Using a SeaQuest Black Diamond

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDuane

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hey all, I recently bought a 3 year old SeaQuest Black Diamond BCD from my LDS. They originally sold it to a guy that can no longer dive. Anyway, I've dived it about 4 times in the ocean and twice in the pool and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. While kicking in a horizontal position and adding air via my low pressure inflator my balance geta all messed up because the air is only going into the left side of the wing. If I stop and go somewhat vertical I can hear and feel it bubble up and even out. When I bought this thing I abandoned a Sherwood Outback, also a back fill wing type BC. I never had this problem with the Sherwood. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks - DiverDuane

I have been using the black diamond for a while now and this happens to me too. Although I find that it does not happen all that often if I am slightly heads up. If you are perfectly horizontal it happens once in a while. If you are slightly head down it will happen all the time. I do not find it a problem as I just raise my head and the air evens out.

I have used my black diamond on about thirty dives and have not noticed any problems. I may not have my head down as much as you though.

Interesting problem. I haven't had a darn problem with mine and it's got hundreds of dives on it. Maybe I'm too dense to notice :)

Cmon guys. Cant you picture the problem? If you are head down and you inflate the BC air will not transfer to the other side until you even out. Many times I do not notice it hapenning but thats mostly because I put my head up for other reasons and it equalizes both sides without aiming to do so. I guess thats a minor downside to a horseshoe bladder.

Yeah, I've noticed this too. The bladder sort of tacos when you are in the horizontal and adding air tends to load the left side. As you mention, if you roll to the left about 90 degrees, the air will move from left to right.

Going head up momentarily will allow the air to equalize across both sides.

Back
Top Bottom