Best snorkelling from the beach anywhere

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

youjia

New
Reaction score
I'm looking for somewhere i can wander off the beach into warm, crystal clear water and see enough to keep me and a friend (non-diver, swims like a fish though, we both reckon she'll take to it... like a fish to water!) amused for a laid back week or so. I have infinite patience for staring at fish and coral, but something to do topside might be nice too!

I was thinking Red Sea? It needs to be cheap to get to from the UK!

I'm not quite sure if my version of floating around admiring the coral can be called freediving... perhaps lazydiving. I've scuba'd and snorkelled in the Caribbean (Martinique - lovely shallow snorkelling) and Thailand (Koh Samet - rubbish).

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Thanks x

Welcome to the board.
At least in this part of the world, Bonaire and Curacao are considered the best shore diving spots to be had. The diving/snorkeling is more convient on Bonaire but Curacao is easier to get to and has more above water things to do.

The best I place I have ever snorkeled is Menorca, Spain. Best in July through Sept. no current just that blue Med. water. Beaches everywhere the island is 30 miles long and 15 miles wide. This a smaller island to the north of the mother island. I never got cold even when 40 ft down.

Perhentian Island in Malaysia. Shark, turtle, moray, stingray, potato grouper and of course clown fish. This is what we have seen in only 2 hours of snorkle from the beach.

palawan has awesome snorkelling from shore!

Tioman Island, also in Malaysia, has a few spots you's appreciate.

I missed he was in the UK... It helps when we fill out out the user profiles

Since you are already considering Red Sea, I cannot recommend more strongly that you look into Dahab, Egypt. In 1999 I stayed at a campsite south of town for $5 a night, breakfast included. The coral reef is the shore. No long swim required.

Back
Top Bottom