Keys - small dive ops??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Since my vacation to Cozumel got scratched due to the hurricane (house I was renting is not ready), I am returning to the Keys for the first time in about 6 or 7 years.

I can dive from 12/18 - 12/26. I looking for just 3-4 days of diving.

Years ago I hooked up with a small dive op, small boat - who was willing to take me where I wanted to go. We dove the Duane and Eagle back to back- he was willing to dive with me while his wife manned the boat - that sort of thing.

I can't find any info on him that I had (name, etc.)

So, I am looking for suggestions for DM's or others with a boat willing to get in some good dives without necessarily 10 or 20 or more other divers. I am a Great Lakes DM with 500+ dives - cold, warm, deep, wrecks, etc.

Don't get me wrong - I have nothing against new divers or novice divers. I have been teamed with brand new divers in Cayman, Monterey, etc and have really enjoyed leading them on dives. I have been to Bonaire 15 times and take out brand new divers who want to shore dive all the time.

It's just that I only have a few days to dive (can't leave my family home every day) and I want to get in the good wrecks, back-to-back if possible.

I am staying in Marathon and will drive up to Key Largo and down to the lower keys as needed. I can dive from 12/18 - 12/26. I looking for just 3-4 days of diving. It can be any of these days (OK - maybe not on Christmas).

I have dove the Duane, Bibb, Eagle, Thunderbolt - each several times. I am looking to do a couple those (Duane and/or Bibb for sure) and probably add the Spiegel and Busch too.

Any suggestions would be great!

I suggest giving Divers City USA a call. Bob and Barbara run a top notch operation and I will not use anyone else in the Keys I was so impressed with them my last trip there.

http://www.diverscityusa.com/index.php

Just let them know what you want to do, they are pretty flexible. They also do night dive on the Duane.

Hope that helps. :D

There's a deep wreck in Marathon called the Shrimp Boat that's 148 feet to the sand, about 120 at the top. It's known for Big Grouper and Caribbean Reef sharks. Might be something you would like.

Scuba Doo. If your the first person to book that day you get to call the dive sites. Small boat i believe they only take 6 or so. Another newsgroup (yahoos E-divers) likes them, but I havnt dove with them. I did talk to them and that is what the owner/capt told me.

If you're staying in Marathon you're probably better off taking a boat there, but if you are going up to Key Largo I recommend Jeff and HMS Minnow charters.

http://www.hmsminnow.com/hmsminnow/default.asp

It's a six-pack and he's very flexible with locations - if you're first you pick. He's very competent and gives a good briefing, but does not provide a guided tour, DM, etc. if that's what you're looking for. I like him because he let's me do my own dives.

I think I have a phone number for him if there's not one on the site and you're interested.

i second the recommendation of divers city in tavernier. also suggest bluewater divers and island ventures in key largo. the above mentioned operators all feature; 6 to 10 divers max, friendly crews, and flexible dive profiles. stay away from the cattle boats!!!!! goodluck,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

I've gone out with Scuba-Doo. Laurie and Tony are awesome. They will go over the Speigle Grove wreck plans with you and give you lots of good information for you to see the entire wreck. They will do one or two drops on the wreck if that is what you are looking for. I highly recommend them.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom