Help me setup my BP/wings...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaJay

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm 6'1" and 220 lbs... In freshwater, fully geared and wetsuited with a standard BC, I only wear 4 or 5 lbs of ditchable weight. Saltwater is between 10-15 lbs, depending on how negative I want to be (read: currents). I'm diving a single tank, usually a rented AL80, but would like to be able to adapt to any rental tank, and even get into doubles, although I won't be doing that for another year and a half or so.

I also like the DIR philosophy, but sometimes might prefer to dive with a standard scuba regulator setup. I also might use a wireless AI computer.

Given this information, is it possible for me to buy and use a SS backplate? With it weighing about six pounds, I'd wear no ditchable weight in freshwater... Wouldn't that be a problem? I'm under the impression that SS backplates don't get all scuffed looking as quick as AL plates do.

Is there a reliable "integrated" ditchable weight system that I can use? Is it any good? What are you using for integrated weights?

How do I attach D rings, pockets, or anything else to my webbing? I'm thinking that two well placed D rings and two well placed pockets would be of more use to me than anything else. Can I do this?

Halcyon makes a standard 27 lb wing... Is that a good starting point? So many BC's seem to have all of this massive lift to them... But I like minimizing for streamlining purposes. Any recommendations?

Lastly, is there some kind of proper way to attach a standard-setup secondary to a BP/wing setup?

Can you swim up your 4 or 5 pounds? I assume so. Therefor using a SS plate with no ditchable should not be a problem.

As for using "standard" regulators to your harness, you can use standard attachment gadgets (shudder).

27 lb wing should be more than plenty based on the weight you're using.

Tom

1. Why dive w/ a standard reg setup? If you're going DIR, do it all the way. There is no middle ground. And frankly, if you've tried the long hose, etc. you won't want the old setup.

2. WreckWriter is write <G>- you should be able to swim up your rig. If you want to go w/ something ditchable, go with an AL BP and a weight belt. I do not recommend the ACB system. I've got it and don't like it.

3. 2 Bent D-rings on the chest straps. 1 Dring on the left waist belt for the SPG. Pockets go on your wet/dry suit legs.

4. 27 lb wing is great for your requirements.

5. "Lastly, is there some kind of proper way to attach a standard-setup secondary to a BP/wing setup?"

Yes, attach it to an ad on E-bay! Better yet, just buy the correct hose lengths and be done with it.

Originally posted by SeaJay
I'm 6'1" and 220 lbs... In freshwater, fully geared and wetsuited with a standard BC, I only wear 4 or 5 lbs of ditchable weight. Saltwater is between 10-15 lbs, depending on how negative I want to be (read: currents). I'm diving a single tank, usually a rented AL80, but would like to be able to adapt to any rental tank, and even get into doubles, although I won't be doing that for another year and a half or so.

I also like the DIR philosophy, but sometimes might prefer to dive with a standard scuba regulator setup. I also might use a wireless AI computer.

Given this information, is it possible for me to buy and use a SS backplate? With it weighing about six pounds, I'd wear no ditchable weight in freshwater... Wouldn't that be a problem? I'm under the impression that SS backplates don't get all scuffed looking as quick as AL plates do.

Is there a reliable "integrated" ditchable weight system that I can use? Is it any good? What are you using for integrated weights?

How do I attach D rings, pockets, or anything else to my webbing? I'm thinking that two well placed D rings and two well placed pockets would be of more use to me than anything else. Can I do this?

Halcyon makes a standard 27 lb wing... Is that a good starting point? So many BC's seem to have all of this massive lift to them... But I like minimizing for streamlining purposes. Any recommendations?

Lastly, is there some kind of proper way to attach a standard-setup secondary to a BP/wing setup?

Personally i'd make your setup completely DIR if you decide to go into that direction. It works well for any type of diving. Try not to mix the mainstream setup with the DIR setup too much. I have tried that for a while and i didnt like it. It is easier to dive with the SAME setup all the time whether that is a DIR setup or otherwise.

As far as weight. What do currents have to do with how much weight you wear? You should be neutral with near empty tank(s) at the shallowest stop you need to make (safety stop usually)
If you dive a wetsuit you HAVE TO HAVE ditchable weight!!

The size of your BC depends on the amount of weight you wear and WHERE you wear it. You have to make sure that your rig floats itself in case you take it of. And you are right, a lot of BC's have way more lift capacity than you will ever need. All you need a BC for is to float the air in your tank and offset changes in the bouyancy of your exposure protection.

D-rings can simply be fed through your webbing, you need 3, one on each shoulder and one on your left hip, thats all you need.

there is no proper way to attach a standard setup secondary to a DIR style BP/wing system. Do yourself a favour and get the 7' hose for your primary and put your backup on a bungee under your chin, doing it otherwise kinda defeats the whole DIR idea. :mean:

Originally posted by sheck33
If you dive a wetsuit you HAVE TO HAVE ditchable weight!!

I don't think this is neccesarily true. If he only wears 5 lbs of weight, what's the difference if it's ditchable or not? If he gets into a situation where he has to swim the weight up in an emergency 5 lbs is unlikely to even be noticable.

Myself, I'd get the SS plate and be done with the hassle of a weightbelt. Actually that's what I did too!

Everyone is right about the hoses, lose the old rec setup and go with the flow, once you try it our way you'll never miss your old hoses.

Tom

Originally posted by WreckWriter

I don't think this is neccesarily true. If he only wears 5 lbs of weight, what's the difference if it's ditchable or not? If he gets into a situation where he has to swim the weight up in an emergency 5 lbs is unlikely to even be noticable.

Tom

I respectfully disagree for the following reason, suppose i am in a wetsuit and i am neutral at say 20 ft with near empty tanks.
Suppose i am neutral with the 5 lbs of weight mentioned.
density of air is 1.22 kg/m3
Now we go to the beginning of the dive, my tank(s) is (are) full so at the beginning of the dive i am negative anywhere between 5.5 and 7 lbs for a 80cuft and 104 cuft respectively. ( i am not going into doubles because you should not dive doubles wearing a wetsuit.) When i descend my wetsuit compresses considerably and looses bouyancy. Now i dont know how much bouyancy you loose but when i go to 100ft at the beginning of my dive and i have a problem and need to swim up i am going to be a lot more negative than just the 5 lbs that were mentioned.
Diving a drysuit changes that story if you dive a shell or crushed neoprene suit, in that case if you are weighed correctly you dont need ditchable weight, i dive a shell suit with 14lbs of weight non if which is ditchable.

You don't dive doubles in a wetsuit either? I'm not sure where you get that rule but it's certainly done by pretty much everyone in Florida. It's just too hot here, in water and (more so) out to dive dry for most ocean dives.

As for the ditchable, when you look at all the technicalities I suppose you're right but for myself, I'll swim up the extra few pounds rather than deal with a belt. If I needed 12 lbs it would be different but for 8 or less.....

Tom

Originally posted by WreckWriter
You don't dive doubles in a wetsuit either? I'm not sure where you get that rule but it's certainly done by pretty much everyone in Florida. It's just too hot here, in water and (more so) out to dive dry for most ocean dives.

Tom

Well i dont dive wet at all right now but no i'd not dive
steel doubles in a wetsuit. Aluminium tanks is a different story but i'd still be a little hesitant as my drysuit is my backup bouyancy device in case my wing were to fail. Oh and not diving doubles in a wetsuit is not a rule, was just my opinion :)

Back
Top Bottom