Newbie Diver in the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lionvoice

New
Reaction score
I, like a few I've seen on the board, have moved my family's trip from Cozumel to the Keys. We'll be there the 1st/2nd week in January. We're staying down in Key West to give our non-diving member a bit more shopping to do... It looks like the better diving is further up the Keys from Key West' we'll have a vehicle so that's not a problem.

Could any of you recommend some sites for a couple of newbie (I have 16 dives, nitrox/night cert, my father has 6 regular dives) divers? How about operations that might cater to us greenhorns (and not spoil a more advanced diver's time)? I've seen a couple ops mentioned on the board, but it seems like most are looking for small ops (to arrange specific dives, etc)--we're basically looking for an op who can provide patience and some decent, easy diving for a couple of enthusiastic newcomers....

The best diving in KW is actually not in KW but in Looe Key National Marine Sanctuary up the Overland Highway a half hour's drive. IMO. :)

Specifically in KW most of the shops cater to snorkers and divers alike, which means fairly shallow reefs and easy dives. Schedule a wreck dive (Cayman Salvager and/or Joes Tug) if snorkelers on the boat bothers you. If you don't need to rent equipment, Captains Corner is cheaper than Dive Key West and Subtropic, but they all do a good job taking care of the new diver. Call ahead of time to make sure they are open for business, Wilma did a bit of a number on the keys but I think most places are back open.

Oh, and throw back a few at Jimmy's for me while you are there (after you're done diving of course!). :D

I think the diving is best up in the Key Largo, Tavernier areas. Really great shallow reefs, with abundant coral, soft corals and lots of fish!
We took a group of nubies from NM down there in August and they were all raving about the great diving.

Here's a fun link: Key Largo Dive Sites you will find lots of info there! Safe Diving!!

Try Looe Key Reef Resort on (I think) Ramrod Key. They run daily 3-tank trips that take snorkelers and divers alike, so everybody gets a shallow dive. Non-intimidating for new divers.

ABQ, the problem is that Key Largo isn't nearly as much fun as Key West for the non-divers in their group. OTOH, once you've seen the first 3 KW t-shirt shops, the other 297 are pretty much the same. :wink:

Looe Key Reef Resort is fine, again, assuming you aren't bothered by having snorkelers on the boat. A more experienced diver would probably like to get out to see the Adolphus Busch while they are in the neighborhood (which I haven't managed to dive yet due to getting blown out).

There are so many great places to dive in the Florida Keys. Key Largo might be your best bet. If you're interested in a safe easy wreck, try the Benwood. For a nice reef with great swim-throughs, try French Reef. The Keys have everything from easy shallow dives to awesome deeper wrecks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom