Frog Kicks, Backwards Kicks and Hellicopter Turns : Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ElectricZombie

Contributor
Reaction score
I downloaded the 5th Dimension videos on these techniques, and practiced them in the pool tonight with a class.

My frog kick dosn't look as efficient as the one in the video, worked ok but not great. Not sure if legs should be bent. It looks like the diver is turning his fins on edge to help cut through the water on the return stroke. Please elaborate on this and how it's performed.

The backward kick was difficult, I never got it down. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Looked crazy trying to do it.

My hellicopter turn worked but, I don't know if I'm doing it correctly. I sort of did a one leg frog kick. Need some clarification.

Could someone please write a description of exactly how to do these three techniques? The video was helpful but, I need a good explanation of the mechanics. Between reading, watching and practicing, I should be ok. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me get these down.

Thanks Yet Again,

I tried to play the vids but I get this error messsage:

'Cannot play back the video stream: no suitable decompressor could be found'

Any ideas what i am missing?

The backward kick was difficult, I never got it down. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Looked crazy trying to do it.

That backward kick is a bear...I am anxious to try it this weekend in my class and see if they can fix it. I'll pass along any good info I get..

Originally posted by nickjb
'Cannot play back the video stream: no suitable decompressor could be found'

I would try going to Microsoft's download page and downloading the latest version of Windows Media Player for your OS. I'm not completely sure if that will effect plug-ins as well, but it's worth a shot...

Originally posted by wetman
better link:

http://www.fifthd.com/divestore/classes/dirrec.html

this one goes straight to the videos. thanks.

Doah... Sorry. I just tried going to the link that I posted, and your right, it doesn't go directly. There's something in my bookmark that gets both frames correct, where going direct to that link doesn't.

Sorry....

Anyone have any luck trying to do these yet?

is a real bear to do. I've been working on it but have had very limited sucess. I figure if I try it as many times as Tiger Woods has swung a golf club I may get it figured out.

I'm better with the helicopter turn to the left(counterclockwise) than I am to the right.

The backward kick seems to require a lot of finesse in the recovery phase of the kick. Without that finesse you just push yourself back to where you started.

On the helicopter turn it feels like I'm using one fin to pull me around and the other fin picks up where the first left off while the first is recovering.

As for the frog kicks with my back arched and legs bent a strong kick seems to propel me downward. Soft easy kicks seem to work best for me.

I'm new to some of this so I can't really write a detailed description of what I'm doing when I do get it right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom