D-rings on BCD - how to add?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Louie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello, this is a query from the mechanically challenged.

I have a Seaquest BCD with four D-rings (two on the body about rib area and two at the bottom). I would love to add a few more.

Is this possible without making major alterations to the BCD? If so, what do I need to purchase?

Thanks

I'm not sure of the details of that BC but if you can handle a sewing needle it shouldn't be too tricky.

The most important things are not to damage the bladder and not to put undue stress on the BC. The easiest place is probably onto the body or flap of the pockets.

You will need some webbing. Some thread (Use polyester thread, not cotton), and some stainless steel or brass D-rings.

Another option is to thread a D-ring onto a bit a webbing already on the BC and lock it in place with a weightbelt retainer.

Another idea is to create a utility belt using D-rings, weight belt retainers and an old weight belt. Do not add rings to your weight belt. It could create an entanglement hazard and will make you less willing to ditch it if it has an expensive camera on it
:boom:

Finally I would add that do you really NEED more D-rings? The four that you have should be adequate for almost everything. You can put more than one item on each D-ring:)

Why do you need more than four? You should only need three of them to begin with. One on each shoulder, and one on your left hip. You can carry everything you should need on these. If you need more than they can carry, you should reevaluate how much stuff you are taking.

I agree with nick, how many more do you need and where else do you need them? I have however, found that a couple of D-rings added to the lower tank band are real useful. At first it would appear that this is not a very accesable place but it actually is. Things attached here don't dangle and are tucked in close to the tank. I just un-threaded my lower tank band, added a D-ring to each side using a plastic weight retainer to hold it in place. I threaded the band from the back of the retainer, through the D-ring and back into the retainer, then adjusted it's location on the strap. By routing it this way, you create a retainer that holds the D-ring out a little from the band. It takes some adjusting to get it in the correct place, about 1/2 way betweent the BC and the tank for me. I placed one on each side and then re-thread the tank strap buckle, which also takes some adjusting to get it correctly adjusted. All of this is a lot easier if the strap is wet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom