Going to Florida (1st Trip)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LVX

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
My buddy and I will be driving to Florida from Texas Dec 26th and staying until Jan 1st. We would like to make as many dives as we can. Neither of us have spent any time diving in Florida and wanted to get advice on what areas to hit. We are both deco trained and would like to make some wreck dives as well as spring dives.

Since we are driving from Texas, we don't want to spend all our time in the truck so going to south Florida or the Keys I think is out. Any advice on the panhandle. Would we be able to go offshore during late Dec?

Any help would be greatly appreciate.

thanks

L

There are a number of nice places to dive in the panhandle and in areas near Gainesville if you are interested in springs. Panama City and Pensacola have several boat operators that would be able to service you at that time of year. None of the panhandle springs will require deco unless you're cave certified, or just want to spend a few hours in 70ft water.

Check this link for some good basic info on some of N. FL. diving spots. Pics and videos.

http://northfloridadiver.net/

rapidiver:
This is a fun easy dive and there's a good chance you'll see manatees (and if you're really lucky you'll see some mermaids!):

http://www.diveweekiwacheesprings.com/main.htm

Rap

do you have to use the rapid diver system or can I dive my own gear?

we are both very active divers and don't really need any hand holding. We want to dive both beautiful and exciting sites.

thanks again.

I'm not a big Keys diving fan, but then again I have yet to dive with Rachel out of Mile Marker 21, its all been Largo and I've been pretty well disappointed in the diving there.

I am happy with the Gulf of Mexico diving when its "on" regarding the ledges and artificials off of Southwest Florida. If you more into reefs and pretty stuff, there is the shore diving off of Lauderdale by the Sea area and some great boats that go out just north of there.

CBulla:
I'm not a big Keys diving fan, but then again I have yet to dive with Rachel out of Mile Marker 21, its all been Largo and I've been pretty well disappointed in the diving there.

I am happy with the Gulf of Mexico diving when its "on" regarding the ledges and artificials off of Southwest Florida. If you more into reefs and pretty stuff, there is the shore diving off of Lauderdale by the Sea area and some great boats that go out just north of there.

Yeah, but as I said, it is a long drive from Texas so I think we will hit dives sites and operators in the Panhandle area for our first trip to Florida and little by little work our way down south. But for now, I would like to see what is avaliable in Northern Florida, especially any operators who can offer moderate wreck dives.

thanks

L

I went to Panama City to buy a boat last year and decided to do a couple dives while I was there. Not impressed with the sites I saw. Basically two sunken bridge spans. Hope there is more structure there but I never saw it. As far as the rest of the state, Ft Lauderdale offers a host of wrecks to dive. Crystal River area is nice to see. Florida actually has a very nice variety of diving beyond the Gulf or East Coast. Tried more than once to dive from Marco Island but seems they arent real active in the winter months. I hope you have better luck than I, Im very open to any nice dives you find as I visit there several times a year.

Panama City has about 3-4 dozen dives, many are VERY nice. Magazine type stuff. But you have to go further out. I plan on doing a long trip out to the Grey Ghost this coming summer. Supposed to be a very nice dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom