Cairo visit/diving question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divermatt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'll be visiting Cairo during 1 week at any point over the next 6 mos. When would be a good time to dive the Red Sea, how far are the good dive spots from Cairo? I guess I'm clueless about the geography, logistics, everything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hurghada is about 5-6 hours away from Cairo by bus. I was visiting there 2 years ago in July and the diving was incredible - let me know if you have any other questions.

The summer months are usually regarded to be the best, unfortunately that doesn't really fall into your "within the next 6 months" frame. Maybe if you could make it in May, you may be able to avoid the crowds at popular sites but still get good conditions? Don't know, though, have only ever beed there in January, April, October and December...
Hurghada would be the closest place to Cairo, but it's not the nicest (at least not on land and at the local reefs), so depending on how much time you have you should consider heading further south (Marsa Alam).

divermatt:
I'll be visiting Cairo during 1 week at any point over the next 6 mos. When would be a good time to dive the Red Sea, how far are the good dive spots from Cairo? I guess I'm clueless about the geography, logistics, everything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

While you're there, some things we saw that I would suggest you might see
1. The museum of antiquities (King Tut exhibit is fabulous)
2. The pyramids at Giza (great light show in the pm)
3. The bazzaar downtown that has been in the same spot for over 2000 yrs.
4. Take a boat on the Nile, even if it's just a commuter which the locals use everyday to get from one side to the other.
5. We went to the tower of Cairo also, from which you could see many other pyramids.
6. Satara and Memphis, the city of the living (memphis) and the city of the dead.
At Satara you could enter different tombs that penetrated deep into the ground.

We dove at Hurgada, a two plane ride south from Cairo. The diving was very good (land based), plenty of hard and soft corals, big napoleon wrasse, hammerhead, anthias and clown fish, some nice size schools of fish. We went in the month of October a number of years ago.

I'm not sure...I don't have a PADI cert to take a commuter boat or penetrate tombs. I'm sure PADI has a class for that though! Seriously tho, thanks for the tips

hey divermatt,i'm an egyptian,i had many dives in hurghada,these days are not perfect to dive in as stefo2 said,but if u must go reply for information,i know the best boat ,places and instructor in hurghada he can arrange everything for you or reply to my e-mail it's eshra14@yahoo.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom