Diver Death [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : Diver Death

Sponsored Link

Scuba446
July 17th, 2002, 03:50 PM
Hi,
I herad a rumor today from some co-workers that a diver died while diving in Ontario this past 2 days.

Does anyone know the details of what happened, was he diving solo as I have heard? Where was he diving and what happened?

Thanks,

PS Its always sad to hear we have lost a fellow diver to the sport.

Tavi
July 17th, 2002, 07:57 PM
What I've heard has all been from co-workers, who have picked up bits and pices from TV and Radio.. I don't know their sources of information.

Newly certified diver, Diving solo. People saw him go in, no-one saw him come out. Lake Ontario, Port Byron, town of Huron. Some of his gear was found. I also heard he was from PA.

I repeat. This is only word of mouth stuff that I have "heard".

Yes it is sad.

BUT!!!
My first thoughts when I heard of this was
"Where the *insert expletive here* was his buddy!"

And why was a newly certified diver diving solo???

Scuba446
July 17th, 2002, 08:12 PM
Well, I agree...which leads me to my 2nd posting:

As a newly certified diver, I see in this sport itís not always easy to find a dive buddy who can dive when YOU can! In fact, it can be darn right difficult.

DIR endorses good dive buddies - and I agree with that. Problem is, whatís a guy to do when he can't find others to dive when he can?

A) Take up golf...
B) Train for the goal of solo diving one day...
C) Dive with buddies who may NOT be good buddies...
D) Dive only occasionally...

With a sport that is so buddy oriented, its not always easy.

Suggestions? Ideas?

NOTE: I'm not necessarily endorsing Solo Diving - I have no real opinion on that topic (another thread maybe)...as a Newbie - I'm not yet qualified to speak on that issue.

Thoughts all?

Scubaroo
July 17th, 2002, 08:26 PM
:off:

There's a fantastic community website in the Bay Area called www.craigslist.org - I've met heaps of buddies through it in the activity partners section. Some I dive with once, some I dive with again. It covers a number of cities (including New York), so try that.

Scuba446
July 17th, 2002, 08:41 PM
Thanks,
But its says San Fran area....

??

Scuba446
July 17th, 2002, 08:43 PM
Opps!

OK, I see New York now in the drop down menu..

Tavi
July 17th, 2002, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Scuba446
Well, I agree...which leads me to my 2nd posting:

As a newly certified diver, I see in this sport itís not always easy to find a dive buddy who can dive when YOU can! In fact, it can be darn right difficult.

DIR endorses good dive buddies - and I agree with that. Problem is, whatís a guy to do when he can't find others to dive when he can?

A) Take up golf...
B) Train for the goal of solo diving one day...
C) Dive with buddies who may NOT be good buddies...
D) Dive only occasionally...

With a sport that is so buddy oriented, its not always easy.

Suggestions? Ideas?

NOTE: I'm not necessarily endorsing Solo Diving - I have no real opinion on that topic (another thread maybe)...as a Newbie - I'm not yet qualified to speak on that issue.

Thoughts all?

I have thought about solo diving. It is tempting sometimes. Like when I want to dive, My son is busy, and my wifes working.
You know, just an easy shore dive. Nope! it's tempting but I know better.
Maybe when I have a lot more experience, and redundant equipment.

I think no matter which agency we went through our training included, Dive within your training (my training included diving with a buddy) and Never dive alone.

Hell 446, there's even days I wanna dive so bad I'd even drive up to visit you!! ;)
Of coarse you probably wouldn't want to dive with me, I'm not 100% DIR. Just slowly working that way.

Scuba446
July 17th, 2002, 08:56 PM
Hey Dude,
I'm not 100% DIR yet either...I learned "A DIR rig does NOT make a DIR diver!"

Its much more than just the rig! But, I'm slowly working that way. I don't add any new gear or items that I can't justify in the DIR method. Of course, its not always easy.

Sometimes the idea of a 30 cu in pony sounds very appealing and safe....but I don't think the extra 'false security' of adding another tank, reg and PSI gauge is the full solution. Just more gear to maintain annually...

Rooster1
July 17th, 2002, 09:12 PM
I dont like diving solo, but it isn't always easy to find someone to dive with. so I have done some solo dives, but have always limited them to 40ft or less when alone. (my safety Zone).
I need more dive buddies

Scuba446
July 17th, 2002, 09:19 PM
Ahh Rooster,
You not that far from me...I'm in Oneida, NY - about 1.5 to 2 hrs from A-Bay. Actually, supposed to come up and dive some easy wrecks on Aug. 24th if my two dive friends rent their gear and go...

Maybe we can team up someday and do a dive or two.

I try and dive very safe, and take no unecessary risks and concentrate on being a good dive buddy...

Scuba446
July 17th, 2002, 09:21 PM
Hey Rooster,
Know of any places up your way selling Chris Ghrol's books on Ontario Shipwrecks?

I'm TRYING to find a copy that covers A-Bay, Kingston, etc.

Amazon.com has a 4-6 wk delivery on it.

???

Anyone have a copy for sale, or know where I can find one by August 24th? be nice to have some info on WHERE these are - mooring buoy's, GPS coordinates, etc.

Rooster1
July 17th, 2002, 11:09 PM
Hey Rooster,
Know of any places up your way selling Chris Ghrol's books on Ontario Shipwrecks?

Amazon.com has a 4-6 wk delivery on it.

???

Anyone have a copy for sale, or know where I can find one by August 24th? be nice to have some info on WHERE these are - mooring buoy's, GPS coordinates, etc.

I have to ask my wife, she doesnt dive but loves buying me books and she bought me one of Kohls books and I love it. My buddy has a couple also and one is awesome, I'll ask her and let you know. I know she usually gets em online at a good price.

I have been through New York a couple of times on the way out to Massachusetts to see relatives and remember driving through places like Syracuse, Rochester, and Albany but I dont remember Oneida, where is that at??

Tavi
July 18th, 2002, 05:09 AM
Body has been recovered.

48 yrs old

Port Bay NY

Was only diving in 20' of water.

Scuba446
July 18th, 2002, 06:12 AM
Oneida is about 30 mins (or less) EAST of Syracuse and WEST of Rome and Utica.

PS I have checked these places for the books so far:

www.amazon.com

www.bn.com (Barnes & Noble)

www.half.com (Used books at like half the normal retail prices)

www.ebay.com (Used books)

I even e-mailed the publisher or Chris himself at Sea Wolf Books direct to order - no response.

Rockhound
July 18th, 2002, 08:51 AM
was not what a new diver ought to have been doing at that experience level.

I'm terribly sorry for his family's loss.

As for diving solo in general:

I have a background in Marine Science, and started diving solo while doing research in college. To be honest, I prefer this mode of diving, although I did it improperly for many years and put myself at a level of risk I now consider unacceptable.

But, I now dive solo in a prudent fashion, and I love it.

On my last dive trip, back in late June, I made more dives solo than with a buddy. Those were my longest, BEST dives.

I caught grief from an Instructor at one beach site, mainly because I was setting a "bad example" (despite being properly equipped). But, I also saw four or five other divers going solo, so I bet it is more common than most folks will admit. My only concern was that several of the solo divers I saw seemed inexperienced.

Scuba446
July 18th, 2002, 03:10 PM
And what would you say "Doing It Right" is as far a setups, experience levels, etc.

??

Scubaroo
July 18th, 2002, 03:22 PM
And what would you say "Doing It Right" is as far a setups, experience levels, etc.

??

DIR does not advocate solo diving, so there is no "Doing It Right" configuration or recommended experience level.

Scuba446
July 18th, 2002, 03:24 PM
Yes,
I know DIR does not support it - so I'm curious what YOU use for a rig setup, redundancy, etc.

Rooster1
July 18th, 2002, 09:23 PM
Scuba 446 here is an url to get you kohls book on Kingston wrecks after u click on url scroll down

http://www.lynximages.com/shipwrecks.htm

Scuba446
July 18th, 2002, 09:27 PM
OK, I see it - but WHICH book do I want that'll cover Kingston and A-Bay, etc.
?

Scuba446
July 18th, 2002, 09:29 PM
Is it "TREACHEROUS WATERS: KINGSTON'S SHIPWRECKS"
By Cris Kohl

??

Scuba446
July 18th, 2002, 09:37 PM
Thanks,
If it's the Volume 1 I just found that on Barnes & Noble in stock as well....

Thanks,

divedude
July 19th, 2002, 08:48 AM
Hey Rooster,

Hey 446, If your diving in Kingston go to Limestone Dive Center in Portsmouth Harbour, Cliff has the books in stock, or give me a call or e-mail and I'll send you one.

Scuba446
July 19th, 2002, 08:52 AM
I won't be up there until August and I want to get one BEFORE we go up, so I know what i'm looking for before we get there. Don't want to be sitting on the boat READING then instad of now!

How can I reach you?

Scuba446
July 19th, 2002, 09:15 AM
DiverDude,
I JUST found a copy on www.bn.com IN STOCK, so I JSUt ordered a copy.

THANKS for all your help!

In good diving!

Scuba446
July 19th, 2002, 10:08 PM
DiverDude,
Barnes and Noble has them, or they say, but they can't ship soon...

Can you mail me a copy, please and I'll remit.

Mike Urban
446 Broad St
Oneida, NY 13421

Thanks,

Conch
July 21st, 2002, 12:59 AM
Scuba446,

You can email Cris directly at Cris Kohl ( seawolfrex@aol.com ) .... or....

P.O. Box 66, West Chicago, IL, 60186.
Tel (630) 293-8996 Fax (630) 293-8837

barb
July 28th, 2002, 10:22 PM
Why don't you go to your local public library and borrow the book!
That's what I do. If I like it then I buy it.

Scuba446
July 29th, 2002, 03:53 AM
Good idea!

converted
July 29th, 2002, 07:43 PM
Kingston www.northerntechdiver.com DIR Facility
ABay www.aboveandbelow.com

Jimmy B

Scuba446
July 29th, 2002, 08:35 PM
JimmyB,
url www.aboveandbelow.com does not work..

??

BEM
July 29th, 2002, 08:48 PM
www.abovenbelow.com

converted
July 31st, 2002, 10:56 PM
Sorry Typing too fast.

Jimmy B

converted
July 31st, 2002, 10:58 PM
Forgot to mention, Northern Tech Diver has a CD of some of the wrecks in the Kingston area, Remembering seeing them at Oswego talking about a 2nd.

Jimmy B

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1