DIR rig problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba446

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a probelm with my rig and I am not sure how to correct it...

I dive:

SS 6# BP

Halcyon Pioneer wings (45# - yes, Iknow thats overkill, but I have them)

7mm Farmer John wetsuit

5mm hood, gloves, boots

US Divers Rocket fins

Neoprene weightbelt with 16# weights

Halcyon harness

Halcyon STA

PROBELM: Trim.....when I descend I always go to a feet-down position and its very hard to stay horizontal.

I am like 150# at 5ft 8 in tall...just in case thats important to weighing.

What can I do to get/keep me in a MORE horizontal position?

I have seen The Fifth Dimensions DIR video's and I should be able to do horiz descents and ascents.

HELP????

Quck and easy place to start: Get another cam band and strap on 8# to as close to the shoulder of the cylinder as you can and see how your trim is (and drop 8# from your belt of course).

Roak

Or try one of FredT's heavy STAs. They weigh 5 pounds versus the 1.5-2 pounds of the Halcyon adapter.

Also, make sure your not too heavy. We're about the same size. I use a 36# wing with an al 80 and H-valve. In my two piece 7 mil I have 8 pounds on my belt. For deeper dives (more suit compression) I put a weight around the neck of the tank. Remember as the suit compresses you get more neg, and put more air in the wing. The result is a drastic difference in center of gravity vs center of buoyancy. Minimizing the weight will help. Beyond that you need the weight in the right place (up by the wing). A weight in the bp chanel (P-weight) is the best solution. I need to get busy and make some.

P-weights? What the heck is that?

I looked at one of Koplin's weighted STA's, but I didn't feel like dropping $90 for a weighted STA right now, being I have so much $ invested this season already....

How about some of the small weight pouches that affix to the tank cam band straps? My rig has 2 cam bands currently, and ebing the Halcyon with the SS buckles, they cost me like $36 each!

PS During our OW Check Out Dives, I had like 12# on my waist and I could ONLY sink when I exhaled fully - problem was, as soon as I inhaled again, UP I came! Instructor had to pull me down before I went to 16# on my wiast!

You are diving in salt water, right?

No,
right now, just fresh...until January 2003 when we go to the Keys...

I dive pretty much the same rig except I have a 27# wing. I am 5'10" about 160 and with the SS bp I use 4# on my belt in fresh water.

You have more exposure suit than I do (I dive a 5mm full, 3/5mm hooded vest, 3mm gloves, 6.5mm booties), but I do not use an STA.

It seems to me, granted I am no expert, that you should sink like the Empress of Ireland with that much weight on. I'm with Mike, sounds like your heavy belt is yanking down your tail end. Have you tried dumping your wing, exhaling, and getting down about 10' or so so your suit compresses? You might be able to drop some weight then.

I haven't tried the tank weight he mentions, but it sounds like a good idea if your arse keeps draggin :)

I'm going to try to put some weight (4-8#) near the top of my tank and see what happens.

yea, I float like a cork with that full 7mm farmer john bottom and the jacket too!

I hate having to wear 16# on my waist!

I am 5 9, 150. In a 7 mil wetsuit, hood, and semi buoyant BC in salt water I wear 18 pounds on my weight belt. Since you have the backplate I would think you would be able to have less weight and considering its fresh water you should be able to have a lot less. Are you sure you are properly emptying your BC? It may look empty and feel empty but since the wings are so big it still have quite a bit of air in it without you being able to tell. I would think you should only need about 12-15 pounds total weight which would result in about 8 or so on your weight belt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom