Cold Water Dive Weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NAVMED82

Registered
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do my first colder water dive. I have been just diving in a 3mil suit, but I'm going to go diving in a lake in january w/ a rented 7mil suit. In the 3mil suit the six pounds of my backplate are plenty to sink me with an empty tank. How much extra lead am I going to have to add for the extra thickness? I only have a 30lb wing. Is that going to be enough lift for the extra weight?

NAVMED82:
I'm getting ready to do my first colder water dive. I have been just diving in a 3mil suit, but I'm going to go diving in a lake in january w/ a rented 7mil suit. In the 3mil suit the six pounds of my backplate are plenty to sink me with an empty tank. How much extra lead am I going to have to add for the extra thickness? I only have a 30lb wing. Is that going to be enough lift for the extra weight?

You are just using the weight to offset the bouyancy so 30lbs of lift is irrelivant. You are currently negative with empty tank so you shouldn't be more than 5-6lbs negative with a full tank. Now if you change your suit to a 7 mil versus a 3 mil you still should only be 5-6lbs negative with a full tank once you set your bouyancy. That is all the BC will need to lift.

As for the weight you will need I would suggest using the 8-12 lbs (based on the rule that a men's large suit will be 2-3lbs positive for each mm). This will probably get you really close.

I think more than 8-12 lbs as above suggested. Reason is the booties, gloves and hood associated with cold water diving. Are you wearing a farmer john or just a one piece??

Id guess 18-22 lbs lead total.

mnj1233:
I think more than 8-12 lbs as above suggested. Reason is the booties, gloves and hood associated with cold water diving. Are you wearing a farmer john or just a one piece??

Id guess 18-22 lbs lead total.

Remember he is already wearing a 3 mill and carrying no lead. He will essentially only be wearing a 4 mil as compared to his normal setup.

Good point though. NAVMED82 do you normally wear a 3mil full or shorty and do you wear booties with it as well or not. I still say that 8-12 (probably leaning towards 10-10lb range is going to be about right if you are going from a 3 mil full with booties to a 7 mil full with booties. It will also matter though depending upon your current suit size that you wear also. My numbers are based on a large suit.

of course, it's hard for anyone to choose lead for anyone else, but i need 5 in my 3mil jacket and 8 if i add the 3mil john part and 3mil hood, so my personal experience wouldn't be for as big a jump in needs. i think it boils down to - pick a number and do a check and refine from there!

I carry 2 lbs of lead with my SS backplate and a 3 mil suit, and 12 lbs of lead with a 7 mil suit, gloves, hood. I also only have a 30 # wing and it provides plenty of lift.

dirthead:
I carry 2 lbs of lead with my SS backplate and a 3 mil suit, and 12 lbs of lead with a 7 mil suit, gloves, hood. I also only have a 30 # wing and it provides plenty of lift.
So thats about 20lbs. total with the BP right????

mnj1233:
So thats about 20lbs. total with the BP right????

Yep, that's right. And that is, of course, in freshwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom