first bc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBADOG82

Reaction score
thanks for the feedback guys but now i have another topic. I emailed the scuba shop where i took lessons and started out telling them that i was thinking of getting the scubapro knighthawk. I resently asked the scuba shop if they had packages without the bc because i was considering the zeagle ranger and the owner wrote me back and said " If you buy a Zeagle, make sure you can reattach the weight system if you ever need to dump. In my humble opinion it has the worse weight release system to date'' and he ended the email saying dont buy somthing past my level. If i got this ranger it would be my first bc but the thing is i would like to get somthing i can expand as i dive more. Does anyone think that has a ranger that it would be a ok starter bc?

SCUBADOG82:
" If you buy a Zeagle, make sure you can reattach the weight system if you ever need to dump. In my humble opinion it has the worse weight release system to date'' and he ended the email saying dont buy somthing past my level. If i got this ranger it would be my first bc but the thing is i would like to get somthing i can expand as i dive more. Does anyone think that has a ranger that it would be a ok starter bc?

Why buy a BC that you think you'll grow out of.. when you can spend a fraction more and get a BC that will work great for what you do now and will grow with you?.. Don't buy a starter BC.. Buy your last BC today. The store manager that told you not to buy past your level is counting on selling you a BC every 2 years or less.. Bad advice... seek a dive store that will help you purchase equipment that will work for you forever.. or at least until you wear it out not grow out of it.

Do yourself a huge favor and look at the BP/W setups.. if not come to my garage and pick a Zeagle, Balance (pretty much a knighthawk) or choose from a couple of jacket styles.. if they fit you can have them... they are things I grew out of. I sell kids a BP/W systems knowing they will not out grow the system... just buy new a harness every few years for about $30.. to easy a system.. then if you go to twins and stages and all that stuff... you'll buy pieces to add not a whole new system.

Just talking from my experience.. TIFWIW

BTW.. I must agree with his assesment of the weight system... 2nd only to a weight belt. :D

The Zeagle Ranger and Scubapro Knighthawk are similar BC. Both are rugged and built to last. I dive a Ranger (now reserved for pool use), and it is a solid BC.

It is not a BC that is beyond someone's level. If you only dove jacket, moving to back inflate may take a dive or two to sort out. But that would be the same as diving the Knighthawk (or any other back inflate). Once you've got the hang of it, back inflate is very nice.

While I like the Ranger, I will say that it may not be the best BC for your needs. Consider where you're diving, and if you need all that lift and bulk. FYI, the Bridgade has the same harness system, but uses a smaller bladder.

Some people really dislike the Zeagle zip cord system, but some people love it. There's tons of discussion here on it. If you can, try it ourself, and see how you feel. Ultimately it's you who is diving it.

Best of luck.

-Don

If I knew the what I know now I wuld go with the back plate wing. You can get a wing for a single tank at first and later if you decide to you want doubles you can get another wing for a lot less than a whole new BC

on the Things I Regret Buying thread...several people mention the Ranger.

I'd get a BP/W.

UWupnorth:
If I knew the what I know now I wuld go with the back plate wing. You can get a wing for a single tank at first and later if you decide to you want doubles you can get another wing for a lot less than a whole new BC

how about getting a trade in OR .....

selling your BC to a new diver like, say SCUBADOG82 and get yourself a BP/W

:14:

My first BC was a U.S. Divers co2 vest back in 1968 .... dove 2 years before that without one. Have used about a dozen different vests since then including horsecollars, standard and back inflated designs. I currently have a Seaquest and Scubapro jacket but my newest one and the one I like the best is my Aeris Atmos XT ...... it combines the features of both a std. and back inflated system into the same jacket ......

The Ranger is a great BC; I have had mine for 11 years. It has got me through some hairy spear fishing experiences, worldwide dive trips, and lots of dive training in chlorinated water. It's hard to beat--especially with the manufacture warranty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom