Transpac or Transplate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fouremco

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
After considerable deliberation, I've narrowed my choice down to either a Transpac or Transplate. Anyone out there who has used both and can comment on the differences between the two? Is there a difference in "feel" in the water?

I've only recently completed my OW, and will initially be diving a single tank, but I don't want to limit myself.

All comments appreciated.

I own a transplate. I think it is a better choice because the transpac has a lot of unecessary padding that adds a lot of bouyancy. The transplate is a lot more versatile.

Transplate will feel more solid, especially when you move to the steel tanks or doubles.

I recently switched from a regular BC to a transplate and recwing combo. No turning back! The transition was smooth and I enjoy the freedom of movement and adjustability of this new set up. I feel as if you can't go wrong going with a BP/W setup. I have no experience with the transpac, but know several people who swear by that set up.

I have the transpac and agree with the previous posts, and add the transpac takes a long time to dry.

Only advantage to the transpac is if you are going to be diving without a wetsuit, or with a very thin one, you might have some added comfort due to the excess padding.

Polly

I narrowed things to the same two choices and after much debate and consideration I decided on a transplate due to the increased stability of a back plate.

However in the end, after more consideration, I went in a different direction and purchased a backplate, pivot ring harness and a set of neoprene shoulder pads. Same level of comfort, greater level of adjustability, fewer things to fail and less expensive.

TransPlate with delux (adjustable) harness and Rec wing

Most of the folks in our area have started going to the transplate....this includes the ones that have the transpacs....

I will never get a TransPlate... NEVER!!!

You will have to pry my hands from the TransPac's amazing padding!!!!

Die TransPlate, DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE!!!
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!! !! !!

I was leaning towards Transplate, and now my minds made up. Time to buy myself an early Christmas present.:11doh:

Thanks for the input...:snorkel:

Back
Top Bottom