Atlantis Reef Project Approved!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

holly cow.. it's interesting.. who's did they find to pay for it? And did the underwater cemetary idea make it to the finals? That part didn't really work for me. But all in all, I guess it's an interesting idea.

kensuguro:
holly cow.. it's interesting.. who's did they find to pay for it? And did the underwater cemetary idea make it to the finals? That part didn't really work for me. But all in all, I guess it's an interesting idea.
:huh:

I'm guessing maybe the loved ones of the dearly departed will be paying for it?

http://www.atlantisreefproject.com/home.htm

As Atlantis rises, it will become……
* The largest and most enchanting man-made reef
* An environmental and ecological masterpiece designed for endless undersea adventure
* A world class destination for divers and explorers
* A place for the permanent disposition of cremated remains and keepsakes.

Over time, natural ocean growth will cover Atlantis and the city will transform into a living garden of marine life surrounding your memories forever.

I saw this at Oceanfest this past year, but didn't pay much attention. Will be interesting to see how it evolves, and look forward to diving it some day.

StSomewhere:
:huh:
I'm guessing maybe the loved ones of the dearly departed will be paying for it?

Yes it looks like that is how it will be paid for. It sounds cool but I am not sure about it as a dive site. To me it seems like hanging out at a cemetery. I realize this may only be me but it just seems strange. :huh:

Alex

Ah, I think it will be a really cool dive site! It's going to be so large and the landscape sounds like it will be very interesting.

Here's the big question: Would you want to be placed here as your final resting place? Me? For sure!

Did a quick purusal of the site... Looks very cool - and I think it would make a very surreal dive experience. I don't know how these costs compared to traditional cemetary fees... I have a few comments:
1> Fishing.... Last thing I'd want is monofiliment trapsed around my final resting place... (though an old net might look kinda cool & add to the mystique...)
2> Newbies.... I would want the reef growth encouraged, allowed to flourish... Afterall this is a cemetary... Try not to have the equivilent impact of a game of tackle football across the grass....
3> Need to find away for non-divers to interact and understand why the ocean is such a passion for us in our life and beyond....

-Tim

I finally opened the web site - so it's a parking lot for dead geezers. What a great idea!
Driving behind some braindead people in Florida is pretty terrifying and/or aggravating - too bad you have to wait until they're deader than they already are before you can plant them offshore.
When they do a remake of "The Godfather", for product placement purposes, they can rewrite the script to "Luca Brazzi sleeps at The Atlantis Reef Project."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom