What bcd fits more muscular build (broader shoulders smaller waist)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DirtRider

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will soon be looking for my first bcd because I am half way through my padi ow. I was using a size large scuba pro glide plus i think it was. I noticed that no matter how I adjusted it the thing kept riding up on me when inflated and when floating. Now it didn't have the weights in it and I was using a separate weight belt for class (not sure if that makes a diff). I am not some super bodybuilder or anything but do lift usually twice a week and have broad shoulders but not a very small waist. I am a 33" waist, 32" or 33" inseam, weight 195lbs, and am 6'1" tall. Are there certain brands of bcds or models that are tailored more toward someone my build and if so what are they? Is it normal to have these ride up and have to pull them down?
I want to take a trip in spring down to Mexico or Florida to complete my open water dives and would like to have my own gear for that. I'd also want it to be good for cold water dives in the great lakes.
Also...a newbie question...all these bcds have one tank strap. How are divers using two tanks? Do I need a special bcd for that or is there some kind of adapter. I am just trying to think ahead because I seem to suck air. 800psi in the time the instructor used 300 and I had my reg out when he did.
Thanks

Please look into a Backplate and Wing. It will solve all the problems you've named. They are very popular among knowledgeable divers. A search of this board will yield hundreds of threads about them.

Integrating your weights will help. Some bcs also use a crotch strap and in fact I'm adding one to my Probe. Some lift is inevitable but if it's your own, a correct fitting and adjustment will relieve alot of those problems. Rental bcs are not always properly adjusted for everyone in a class. the size is just a general guideline. One of the higher level bcs from any of the major manufacturers will easily meet your needs. Look for range of adjustment, weight integration, lift capacity, number of and accessibility of pockets, d-rings and can it be upgraded if you so desire. I'm not sure you need a bpw at this time but I'll agree it is an option. you can customize it to your hearts content and it will fit you as long as it's adjusted properly. It may take some additional instruction but that's up to you. I don't presently dive one because I do so much work with students and demoing certain skills is easier for them to understand if you are using the same type of gear. Being a shop manager also requires me to use what we sell as far as manufacturer in classes. Now I'll most likely be getting a bpw set up in the next year or so as I'm going to get into more tech diving and we are currently looking at lines to carry which obviously will affect my choices. Diving with doubles involves taking two tanks and banding them together with stainless steel bands, or there are nylon travel bands, with or with out a manifold connecting them and securing them to the backplate. Usually by bolting the tank assembly to the plate.

And don't worry about air usage at this point. It will get better with experience. I started out in my ow classes using 1100 pounds to my instructors 300. It's now down to about 500 for his 300. And he's got over 1500 logged dives. I've got 81 with alot of practice in the pool besides.

PerroneFord:
Please look into a Backplate and Wing. It will solve all the problems you've named. They are very popular among knowledgeable divers. A search of this board will yield hundreds of threads about them.

I second the backplate and wing route. GI3 is a perfect example of that type of body fitting quite well into a backplate harness.

e.a.e.

Zeagle. You can mix and match parts for a custom fit. My Zeagle Brigade is made of a small cumberbund and medium shoulders. I'm sure Larry at Scubatoys.com can help you find the pefect fit.

Yep...either a BP or Zeagle. I also have the Brigade and love it. Kinda think that the Brigade has since been worked around by Zeagle, in a way. Some of their new models are almost the same and are available through any authorized dealer, not just Scubatoys.
If you decide to go with Zeagle and want to switch to a BP later you can do that as well and use the same bladder.

Zeagle is a great idea...you can get different size parts and make it fit like a glove. Or I have a highly adjustable Triple-L Orion for sale that would fit you great and is very cheap if you want :)

Those ScubaPro Glide vests will definitely ride up, but you'll like a back-inflate with crotch strap a lot better. Also, you were probably overweighted for class so had too much air in the thing. Once you get your own gear and get properly weighted, you'll work a lot of these issues out.

You're getting ahead of yourself on the doubles. Doubles is no way to respond to a high breathing rate. Were you really suprised that you breathe more air than your instructor? Someone who does this for a living? It really shouldn't suprise you. Your breathing rate will get better with more dives and pretty soon that single tank will last you twice as long.

BP/W is a good idea too. I'd look at Tobin's single tank rig. Good price for the full package.

DirtRider:
I will soon be looking for my first bcd because I am half way through my padi ow. I was using a size large scuba pro glide plus i think it was. I noticed that no matter how I adjusted it the thing kept riding up on me when inflated and when floating. Now it didn't have the weights in it and I was using a separate weight belt for class (not sure if that makes a diff). I am not some super bodybuilder or anything but do lift usually twice a week and have broad shoulders but not a very small waist. I am a 33" waist, 32" or 33" inseam, weight 195lbs, and am 6'1" tall. Are there certain brands of bcds or models that are tailored more toward someone my build and if so what are they? Is it normal to have these ride up and have to pull them down?
I want to take a trip in spring down to Mexico or Florida to complete my open water dives and would like to have my own gear for that. I'd also want it to be good for cold water dives in the great lakes.
Also...a newbie question...all these bcds have one tank strap. How are divers using two tanks? Do I need a special bcd for that or is there some kind of adapter. I am just trying to think ahead because I seem to suck air. 800psi in the time the instructor used 300 and I had my reg out when he did.
Thanks

Go to an Aqualung Dealer -- try on an APEKS WTX Harness with WTX3 wing and add the Surelock Weight Pockets ... this will fit you perfectly.

http://www.aqualung.com/products/wtx_harness.html
http://www.aqualung.com/products/wtx3_cell.html

Back
Top Bottom