help choosing bp/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stas

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
I finally decided to switch to bp/w but I don't know what to choose. I want it to be my bc system for rec/tropical diving, but I also want it to be ussable for doubles (though not with the same wing ofcourse).
I was considering the OMS IQ harness (the soft one). Another harness I was interested in was the DiveRite TransPac.
Questions:
1) Do people use the soft/padded harnesses for tec diving/doubles (I plan to start the tec course in may).

2) I was told that even with the single cylinder conversion kit, the harness has to much freedom/loosenes with a single tank because the tank sits farther from the backplate and so there is more moment about the tourso. Is that true. If so, how do I make it more rigid.

3)How do I decide between steel and aluminum backplate.

Any other coments would be most welcome.
Thanks, Stas

stas:
1) Do people use the soft/padded harnesses for tec diving/doubles (I plan to start the tec course in may).

Yes, people use all kinds of arrangements. I don't understand why... but they do.
I would suggest that you consider a simple hog harness.

stas:
2) I was told that even with the single cylinder conversion kit, the harness has to much freedom/loosenes with a single tank because the tank sits farther from the backplate and so there is more moment about the tourso. Is that true. If so, how do I make it more rigid.

This suggestion is not true... although I'm not sure that I completely understand what you're talking about. A BP/wing/STA makes for a very secure configuration. Many of these combinations only set the cylinder back less than half an inch. The cylinder will not move.

stas:

The choice is made based on weighting requirements. I would suggest that you do a lot of reading here on the board. You will learn a lot. Before it's all over you will want both Al and SS plates... you might even want a fatty, too.

It's hard to be more specific without knowing more about you and your diving.

stas:

I would start with using a basic webbing/hog harness. If you find in uncomfortable you can switch to a padded harness later. Most likely you'll have no issues with webbing and now you have a few more bucks in your pocket.

stas:
2) I was told that even with the single cylinder conversion kit, the harness has to much freedom/loosenes with a single tank because the tank sits farther from the backplate and so there is more moment about the tourso.

The harness will not loosen, you will not notice the tank sitting further from the plate, you will not have any issues.

stas:

It all depends on your diving and gear. I have both, SS for salt water diving w/AL80 tanks. When I go to Florida, I use my AL BP because everyone dives steel 95s and higher tanks. I would be overweighted with my SS. If I was diving double Steel 100s here in California, I would use my AL BP for the same reason. Backplates are pretty cheap, many people end up owning both.

Wing wise, Oxycheq, Halcyon, DSS are all popular and get the job done. Keep it simple and within your budget.

Good Luck.

stas:
Hi,
I finally decided to switch to bp/w but I don't know what to choose. I want it to be my bc system for rec/tropical diving, but I also want it to be ussable for doubles (though not with the same wing ofcourse).
I was considering the OMS IQ harness (the soft one). Another harness I was interested in was the DiveRite TransPac.
Questions:
The softpack harnesses can be used for both single and double tank diving, the OMS IQ pack can also be outfitted with a backplate to make that conversion easier. They are perfectly suited for both types with minimal conversion from one to the other method. Besides being fully tech compliant they also offer that extra bit of "comfort" when using it in the tropics with minimal clothing. This way you will not have to purchase a new rig for different types of diving, the one pack will do.

OMS also offers a wide range of wings to go with the IQ pack from the single 32lb bladder to the more robust dual bladder wings (again this would be determined on the type, location and gear configuration you wish to go with - there are many wings in different lift capacities to accomplish this)

stas:
If the pack is properly adjusted no such issues are apparent, or to make it even more versatile the adjustable packs (ie: IQ pack) can be adjusted/quick adjusted to allow for different exposure suits and tank configuration without having to re-strap the whole rig.

stas:
This all depends on the type of diving you do and the exposure suit(s) you plan on using. In cold(er) water the S/S plate will help you shed weight from your belt, while in warm salt water even a composite plate will do.

I bought the Oxycheq Signature Series wing and Hammerhead Scuba stainless plate. Both are very well made and the people are great to deal with. I pestered both companies with several questions and they were very patient and informative.

I'm using Hammerhead's 2 piece stainless single tank adapter kit. It has a unique shape that engages the "hump" in the plate and prevents it from rocking.

I purchased the hog webbing kit from Hammerhead. Very simple, easy to adjust, and surprisingly comfortable. There is no difference between this kit and any other out there. Just a few retainers, D-rings, and a buckle, but its nice to get it all in one place.

The Oxycheq Signature wing is bulletproof and super stable underwater.

The Hammerhead plate was far cheaper than Halcyon, etc, but the quality was every bit as good. The edges are bead-blasted so they aren't sharp but they'll bite into the webbing a bit if thats what you want. Some people prefer to file those edges a bit more. I don't see the need, but they do offer finishing as an option.

I bought a couple of the Halcyon stainless cam straps while I was down in Floriday cave country. Never had a tank jiggle loose and they hold their adjustment well. Just be sure (like any strap) to wet the strap down before putting on your tank. They were expensive (I'm sure that "H" on the buckle cost me dearly) but they are great.

I have compared the plate and wings side-by-side to the Halcyon equivalent and I like my plate and wing better, and the price was a good bit lower too.

I'm happy to say that I'd buy these same items again. No regrets.

Bryan.

I use the dive rite transplate with rec wing. Great deal, adjustable, able to use doubles or singles, and able to be accessorized very easily, but ready to dive straight out of the box (after proper fitting). I made the switch from BCD to BP/W recently and will never look back! Check out http://www.diveriteexpress.com for a great deal.
Paul

OMS backplate, Comfort harness, Oxycheq signature series wing, Love the set-up. Happy Shopping.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom