Key Largo February 17 - 20 - Exposure and Lodigng Reccomendations needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RussR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

We will be diving in Key Largo Presidents weekend and need a little advice. We will be 4-6 guys of varied expierence from recent OW cert to 60+ dives.

A couple of the guys that are comming get cold easily so I was wondering what mm wetsuit is recommended for February diving? I saw elswhere on the board that the water temperature should be in the low 70's (which seems warm to me) but my buddy was saying he dove in 62 degrees and was freezing.

So possibly a 3mm for me and a 5mm for those who get cold easily?

Also if anyone can reccomend a place to stay for a group of 4-6 I would appreciate that to!

Cant wait to dive again!

Thanks

I dove in Key Largo everyday this past week. The water temp was 75 deg at the surface and down to 130 ft. I get cold easily even being a New Englander so chose to dive w/ a 3 mm + 5mm core warmer, hood and reef gloves. I was perfect. I did get cold on the 4th dive of the day a couple of days into my vaca. My buddies dove with 3 mm suits, no gloves or hoods and were fine although they have a bit more belly/thermal protection than I do.

We stayed at the Sheratin purchasing our room via priceline. Great deal, terrific hotel.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Sid

I have also stayed at the sheraton... It's a nice place to stay, but some hotels have dive/stay package deals, which should also be looked at.

If I didn't have points to use at the sheraton... I probably wouldn't stay there.

The water may still be a bit chilly so I would think that a 3 mm would not be enough if you are doing several dives. You would probably feel it after a few dives if not right away. The most reasonable accommodations are in FLorida City. I have an article on Keys diving in the ScubaBoard Articles section.

Scubydoobydoo:
Hi,

We will be diving in Key Largo Presidents weekend and need a little advice. We will be 4-6 guys of varied expierence from recent OW cert to 60+ dives.

A couple of the guys that are comming get cold easily so I was wondering what mm wetsuit is recommended for February diving? I saw elswhere on the board that the water temperature should be in the low 70's (which seems warm to me) but my buddy was saying he dove in 62 degrees and was freezing.

So possibly a 3mm for me and a 5mm for those who get cold easily?

Also if anyone can reccomend a place to stay for a group of 4-6 I would appreciate that to!

Cant wait to dive again!

Thanks
During the winter months, most divers are covered (many head-to-toe) in 3mm neoprene, or more, depending on how much "built-in" insulation they have.

As far as places to stay... check out Ocean Point Suites if you're looking for a condo, or The Hungry Pelican if you want an inexpensive (no-frills) "mom-and-pop" motel.

hungry pelican is the best spot, cheap and has a small beach in the back, close to alot of stuff (walking wise) the rooms are clean, each have a fridge in them...

the dives will be cold, I rec. a 5mil and a hood, and gloves. I was just there (dec 5-8) and without the full sut 5 mil, I think I would have froze. most of the other divers were wearing a 3 mil shorty, with a 3 mil long suit on top of that.

tell the grove we said hello :)

oh and dive with slates www.captainslate.com they have a deal 5 (2) tank trips for 200.00 so 20.00 a dive... they goto the Grove, Duane, most of the reefs, and have a nice crew.

Tell them Tyson sent ya, if you go there, and have a good time either way...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom