Weigh in Halcyon Eclipse, Pioneer or Zeagle Stilletto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deus

Registered
Reaction score
For warm water diving, travelling. What is your preference and why?

A Pioneer with an Al plate should be pretty compact if that's your primary concern. I don't see why you'd need the dual layers of the Eclipse for warm, tropical reef diving.

I'd also take a look at DSS wings (or a full rig) and the Oxycheq wings (both single and dual layer).

I have heard nothing but great things about the Stilletto. I have also heard it packs down small. In my experience, you just can't go wrong with Zeagle.

It seems your first decision is whether you want a BC or a BP/W. Have fun deciding! :)

Gregg

Halcyon Eclipse 30 with aluminium bp. The whole setup is very light and compact and can be taken apart for easy packing. The Pioneer 27 would be even more compact as the wing is slightly smaller and does not require a STA but I prefer the outer shell/inner bladder design of the Eclipse. I also feel that I can reach my valve easier with the STA in place. I've seen a few punctured Pioneers and they were used exclusively in "warm, tropical reef diving" situations.

Vie:
Halcyon Eclipse 30 with aluminium bp. The whole setup is very light and compact and can be taken apart for easy packing. The Pioneer 27 would be even more compact as the wing is slightly smaller and does not require a STA but I prefer the outer shell/inner baldder design of the Eclipse.

This show how little I know. I thought the stilletto was BP\W

This is a Zeagle Stiletto:
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=ZeagleStiletto

Zeagle also does make a BP/W, but their wing doesn't seem to get mentioned with the frequency of Halcyon, DSS, Oxycheq, etc for singles wings.

I'd make sure you look at:
DSS - deepseasupply.com (they make a 20 or 30 lb singles wing - great plate by all accounts)
Oxycheq - oxycheq.com (people love their wings for singles)
Halcyon Pioneer and Eclipse wings
Hammerhead backplates (affordable backplates with a chesty model on their website)

Since you don't want/need much weight, you'll probably want an Aluminium or plastic backplate. If you want to go smallest possible, choose a rig that doesn't need an STA, though, as Vie mentioned, there may be other considerations there. The Halcyon Pioneer and DSS wings have no STA. The Oxycheq and Halcyon Eclipse need an STA.

Decide if you want a sigle layer or double layer bladder. Pioneer and some of Oxycheq's are single. DSS, Halcyon Eclipse and Oxycheq are double layer...primary advantage being toughness with the compromise of some additional weight/drag/and slower drying.

Anyway, some stuff to think about. I'm really new to BP/W stuff too, so I've been doing a lot of this thinking lately too. Have fun looking! :D

Gregg

Doesn't that metal backplate on the Halycon feel uncomforatble?

Deus:
Doesn't that metal backplate on the Halycon feel uncomforatble?

You can have MC pack. It will block the metal feeling on your back.

Deus:
Sorry...I need a diving dictionary. MC?

MC = Multifunction Compensator. This is Halcyon's "system" name for its line of plates and wings.

Hoosier is referring to Halcyon's MC Storage Pak. It attaches to the plate and functions as a place to store a lift bag or other such stuff. Its purpose is not for padding. You don't need padding. The plate might look uncomfortable... but it isn't.

It's magic!

Back
Top Bottom