How about Lake Mead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
It seems to me that there might be some good diving in Lake Mead. Being that so much land was flooded when they built the dam. Did anyone ever dive this lake? What is it like if you did?

I have heard of a few from CA doing so, i can move the thread if you want me to a place where it might see more action?

PM Dive-aholic(Rob) here, he sometimes goes there. Some info on his website:

http://www.southwestscuba.com/mead.html

Lake Mojave's generally clearer if you're looking for a dive from Vegas. Although imho none of the Colorado River fed lakes are much good, the river has too much silt in it.

I have never been diving at that location. However, I have done an extensive amount of houseboating on that (massive) lake. It seem to me that that a houseboat would be a perfect dive platform for exploring the lake in comfort (provide you bring a portable compressor or a rebreather).

benncool:
Sounds good. Where are we going? I was wondering where to post this. :)
To Arizona with you, well its close to NV and seems to be where other Lake Mead questions have been fielded :wink:

I was certified in Lake Mead while attending college at UNLV. There is a divers park whith a bay devoted to divers- a few sunken ferries etc. Not much to see..not great?
Ive heard there are some boat accessible dive sites that are nice?
In my opinion, the best diving in the area is by boat just below the dam,in the Co River-you do a live drift, kind of like cozumel-better viz and life-lots of big bass! The water is cold though.

Good luck!

With the lake level being so low (93 feet as of 12/8), diving at Lake Mead hasn't been that great. The rangers/dive shops in the area have had to move "wrecks" because they were completely exposed. The Scuba Park doesn't have much to offer other than OW checkouts due to the shallow depths. The dive boats haven't been going out much. Even the local shop doesn't get out to the lake other than for certs. You're better off heading down to Mohave. Lake Mohave has a pretty consistent viz of 30 feet and I haven't seen it drop more than 10 feet (which is where it's at currently). Mohave has some "wrecks" (see this page for directions on how to get to them) and some depth from shore (no boat required). If you do bring or rent a boat, you can also get to some caverns up the lake. Let me know when you plan on heading out to either one. I'm up in the Vegas area on a pretty regular basis and always get some diving in while there, so we might be able to meet up somewhere.

Several years back, I was diving mostly at Horsepower cove (?). It was a shore dive with not much to see but some very large boulders. Then the lake was down only about 20'. Still it was a pretty good walk from the parking area. If you tried to drive closer, there was always a wrecker on call to get you out, for a small fee.
I've also dove the scuba park. It is not far from Horsepower cove and near a boat ramp or marina or something if I remember correctly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom