OMS Vs. Dive Rite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dave 69

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am a North East diver who got hooked on diving a year and a half ago. I have already out grown my basic BCD which is a jacket style. I would like to switch to a BP/W because eventually I would like to become tech certified. I am into wreck diving and currently use single tanks but would like to go onto doubles. I would like the opinion of some north east tech divers on which system I should look at. I am not a DIR diver nor do I ever plan on it. I do dive with a wet suit and a shell dry suit and prefer steel tanks over aluminuim. I know that OMS is a dive standard in the North East but would like some insight on both systems from people who have been using them.

Thank You To All That Help!!!:D

I was in the same position you were not to long ago...I ended up going with the DSS rig (30 wing, hog harness). Seemed like a good system to start with and would still be very practical as my experience grows.

www.deepseasupply.com

I haven't limited myself to this but it just seems that is what most of the wreck/tech's around this area use. Most anybody I talk to in the area seem to like the OMS set up and The others tend to go with Dive Rite, so thats what I have been basically brought up on.

Both brands will suit you well, I got a Transpack II with travel wings and a OMS SS BP and 45# wing, I prefer the OMS due to the BP config and use the DR for traveling convenience.

In my opinion, OMS bladders are bullet proof and better designed than DR, but a plate and webbing is the same from any of the top manufacturers, just a few more slots or mounting holes make the diference, the bends of the BP may vary, but are more or less the same.

The diference in harness are minimal, just a few more d-rings and q-releases are used depending on the style chosen.

One manufacturer that has made significant changes is DSS, Tobin has gone the extra mile in BP design, the hardware of his harnesses is well designed and made of top quality materials, and the BP is the only one featuring the inserts to prevent webbing wear.

Since OMS is based in NY, that may explain why they're so popular in the NE.

You may want to check out www.diveriteexpress.com and take advantage of their great deals, and service, I've dealed with them twice, and the shipping was super fast and no mistakes were made, not to mention the great prices I got compared to other DR dealers.

make sure you check other manufacturers like the ones listed in previous posts, and then make your decision based on what you want and need.

If you choose any of the top brands, you can't go wrong, or you can do as I did, mix and match diferent brands to acomodate your taste.

I'm sure someone will correct me, but in my research, it seemed as though the DiveRite singles wing really hasn't kept up with some of the competition and that the offerings from Halcyon, Oxycheq and DeepSeaSupply are better singles wings. I think it was Bob (NWGratefulDiver) that I read saying he sold his Dive Rite Rec wing the day he tried a DSS wing. And that even though he loved the DSS wing, he would definitely not get rid of his Oxycheq wing (paraphrasing, and sorry if I misremembered the author).

I assume you're starting with a singles rig, since you say you want to move up to tech later.

For me it came down to a DSS rig or an Oxycheq wing with DSS plate or Hammerhead plate (to save some $$). It doesn't seem like the plate matters all that much, but the DSS plate does have some really nice touches and can be had at a good price if you buy the package. The Halcyon stuff certainly seems nice, but premium price.

You may have other factors, like if you want to buy from an LDS, you'll have to take whatever they sell.

Or maybe you can get a great deal on OMS or Dive Rite. I know NESS sells (I think) a Dive Rite rig for under $400.

I don't know much about OMS, but aren't their wings bungied? Maybe that's not all of them. I decided to avoid bungied wings. For some reason, I just didn't look at OMS much.

Another factor for me, while I'm mentioning it, was weighting. I am primarily a cold water diver and need a lot of weight. So I knew I wanted a stainless plate and a weighted STA or some other additional weights built into the rig. I really like Tobin's weight plates for the DSS rig. If I went that way, I pretty much didn't want to add an STA if I could help it, so that would rule out the Halcyon Eclipse and Oxycheq singles wings, because they want an STA. The Halcyon Pioneer, DSS wing and others do not require an STA. But the Pioneer is a single layer bladder, and I do some tough shore diving and wanted the dual layer bladder...fun, isn't it? :)

I definitely would read up on this board about the DSS and Oxycheq wings. They are very well received here. If you like the DSS, then the DSS single tank rig is a great price for a great all-in-one package solution with a lot of cool features you don't find elsewhere.

If you like the Oxycheq or another wing, you can always go with a very affordable Hammerhead plate and STA...if nothing else it's fun to browse the Hammerhead site :wink: Oxycheq has their own plate, too.

Sorry I don't know more about OMS or Dive Rite. I'm really new to BP/Ws, but I thought I'd throw some of my thought process out there FWIW. I'm sure people here will correct any factual errors I have made and I apologize in advance for those.

Cheers! :D

Gregg

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
I don't know much about OMS, but aren't their wings bungied? Maybe that's not all of them.
Cheers! :D

Gregg

Your right, they got a non banded line of bladders, made of the same HD materials as the banded ones to acomodate the non banded divers.

Everytime I think of NE wreck divers OMS comes to mind! BUt as others said I would look around. It dosent matter where you look you'll find praise for DSS's innovative products such as weight plates and alike. Also, DR has the best customer service ever. just some of the things to consider.

I originally had an OMS wing for my doubles. I found that the bungies trapped air and wouldn't dump very fast. I switched to the Dive Rite Classic wing. So far I love it. I have a Dive Rite Rec wing for my single tank. I removed the bungie and it works great when using my steel 95 or 120 single tanks. When I move to AL80's, it won't fully taco the tank. But it does tend to wrap around it. I'll probably pick up a Dive Rite Venture wing for AL80 and traveling.

I've never tried Halcyon or Oxycheq. I've got a buddy who has both and swears by the Oxycheq. He wasn't very thrilled with the Halcyon.

Overall, I'm pleased with Dive Rite and would recommend them.

DJ

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom