Zeagle Zena configuration questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
My wife is a very new diver (finishing OW in a couple of weeks), and I just got her all of her gear. Using her Zena in the pool, she really loves it, but says it does tend to ride up a bit at the surface. My immediate reaction was, crotch strap. It's what I use to solve that problem.

By the Zeagle crotch strap apparently doesn't hook to the Zena? Any Zena users also use a crotch strap? What sort? I imagine I can jury rig something, but I was interested in what others had to say.

Second question is about where you stash your octo. The Zena has D-rings only low on the shoulder straps. I generally like my octo higher up, like on a chest D-ring. Setting aside the solution of a bungee necklace for her octo (she's not yet sure she wants a long hose/bungee setup or a bungee necklace at all), what solutions have Zena users found for stashing their octos?

Thanks for any input.

Gregg

Gregg....if the Zena rides up on her then it is sized wrong. The great thing about the Zena is that it DOESN'T ride up when sized properly. The two lower staps are designed to fit above and below a womens hips. I would reccomend taking it (and your wife) back the store where you got it and have it re-sized on her. Depending on your wifes measurements you may need to combine say, a Medium back with a Small chest piece. I have never heard of using a crotch strap to compensate for a poor fitting BC.

As for your Octo question..Zeagle makes a neat little deal with a very small bungee that will hold your octo. I have one on my Ranger and love it. It's a small piece of 1 inch webbing with velco on it (to attach to the BC) and the loop of bungee. Works great and I have never had it come off.

Yikes, the strap shouldn't fit below the hips!! I hope you meant below the RIBS!

I dive a Zena and have never had it ride up, however, I do believe that fit is the issue with your wife. Make sure the upper strap is fastened below her ribs, then tighten the lower strap, and pull the shoulder straps. If you tighten the shoulder straps first, you tend to pull the BC up to high and can't get the lower strap in the right place.

I also always tighten my straps once I'm at depth and horizontal in the water. There is always slack to take up then and once they are tight I'm good to go.

As far as the octo goes, the options are somewhat limited as you know. You could probably attach another D ring in the chest area if you wanted. Mine is low on my bottom D-ring. I figure if I need to donate my primary, then my secondary is easily found at my waist level instead of mid-level on my body where I might fumble.

The Zena's most important adjustment strap is the one at the smallest part of the waist. It's actually the top one of the two horizontal straps around the body. Zip up the zipper completely. Tighten the above mentioned waist strap before any others, as DiveMe said, just below the rib cage. Next secure the bottom strap. Lastly take the slack out of the shoulder straps, but do not pull down excessively. Since the Zena does not have a chest strap or shoulder harness that attaches under the arms, pulling down on the shoulders too hard will hike up the waist. Be sure to properly weight the BC pockets. Use without integrated weights also contributes to ride up.

See the photos here: http://www.zeagle.com/index.php?submenu=RecreationalBcs&src=gendocs&link=ZenaBC Some slight changes have been made since these were taken.

Many divers attach an octo holder to the shoulder strap D-ring found just above the breast, on either side.

Chad
FL Zeagle Rep

Back
Top Bottom