Zeagle Ranger losing air after awhile

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jaronoff

Reaction score
So, I have a Zeagle Ranger. I keep all my gear in my storage area that is off of my garage. It's about 20 degrees lately. Well, I go down to the basement the other day and check out my ranger and there is hardly any air in the bladder. So i blow it up and I come back the next day and the same thing happens. So, today I bring it into the basement and blow up the bladder and going to leave it down there to see if temperature difference has anything to do with it. Could it? I usually keep the bladder and BC in good condition. it's only 4 months old. Aside from one fresh water dive, i volunteer at the local zoo and take pretty good care of my gear.

any suggestions or comments? thanks!

The temp change can have some effect but I would bet on a loose dump valve or LP inflator hose. They tend to work loose on occasion. They should be snug but don't crank down on them. If that does not fix the problem, a leaking dump valve or LP inflator would be my next guess. If you try the submerge test, it does not have to be completely inflated, do so and you will have a real wrestling match on your hands :)

cummings66:
Yes, inflate it and then submerge it and look for leaks.
...or, you can spray all the hose/inflater contact points and bladder with a dish soap/water solution and watch for bubbles (easier than submerging, I think).

Of course, then only way to get all the soap off is to take it for a dive. :D

Look at the Remote Exhaust valve (on the top shoulder). Make sure it is screwed down completely, and that no material is sandwiched in between the threaded flange and the cap that screws onto it.

Sometimes we will get a very small leak at that point, simply due to the cap not being all the way down. While diving, or on the surface, you probably would never notice it - but if you inflate your bladder and leave it overnight, you will.

Are you storing the BC with the bladder fully inflated?

Thanks,

Scott

What nobody has said..." Buy a back plate and wing!!

Mine has a similar leak. I haven't been too worried about it, since it is such a slow leak, and I'm sure it's the remote valve, as Scott pointed out.

After my last dive I removed the valve while rinsing the bladder, so suspect it's either not seated well or needs a little lube.

I poked a tiny hole in my Stiletto bladder, (it's tough but not indestructable), by loading it too closely to one of many spearguns in the back of my truck.

Since it's bladderless, I'm going to have to try aqualseal on a Q- tip applied to the inside of the hole, through the bladder neck. (I think I can reach it.)

Oh, BTW I poked the hole in early spring, many many dives ago. I need one of those round-tuits!

BCs don't have to hold air overnight... many just do.

Chad

concur with herman and scott. if you still have issues, return it to the shop for inspection and go from there. either they'll back it up or zeagle will.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom