Ok I Switched To A BP/W, But Now ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Erik Il Rosso

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I think I made the right decision but what about my regulators now ???

Do I have to change some hoses ???
Do I have to buy some bolt snaps ???
Do I need extra training ???

The only thing I know is that the old configuration is no longer good, I think the era of the "Golded Triangle" is over but I do not know with direction to take now...

I hope you understand what I want to say...

Hope my post in in the right area...

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

P.S. A couple of pics would be highly appreciated...

Erik, congrats on the new gear!
As for the regulators, they don't have to be changed right away (or at all if you don't wish to).

At some point you may wish to move on to the long hose configuration with a bungied back-up instead of an octopus.

This type of rig is commonly reffered to as a Hog rig (Hogarthian rig).
ScubaBoard has a whole forum set-up for this configuration.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=333

Lots of good info in there.

You don't say if you're diving single tank or doubles. Here's what I've done for diving singles. (note this is what I find works for me whetehr or not it is completely compliant with DIR or anything else)

Primary reg on 5 foot hose routed under right arm, across chest and around the back of my neck to come into my mouth from the right. Boltsnap tied to hose near second stage to clip it off on right chest d ring when not in use.

Backup reg on 22 inch hose routed over right shoulder and hangs around my neck on a bungee necklace.

Bolt snap tied to HP hose near to SPG to clip off on the left hip D ring.

You could go for a 7 foot primary hose if you have a canister light or pocket on the tright side of your waist strap (or if you want to tuck it into the webbing) but personally I find 5 foor perfect for recreational diving.

Depending on your size you might need a slightly longer back up (maybe 24 inch)

I haven't had any specific training for this set up but have practiced donating the long hose to an OOA diver. If you are going to go this route you have to make sure that your buddy is aware that the long hose (i.e. the reg in your mouth) is the one that you will donate (you will then switch to your backup which is under your chin on its necklace). You should also get into the habit of checking that your long hose is free to deploy and that your backup reg is working early on every dive.

Thanks, now I know that I have to buy a new hose, 2 bolt snaps and some bungee...

I will try everything on land and next on a very shallow dive...

Don't tell anybody but it it great fun to play with this kind of things...

2 years ago I did not know anything about this sport and now... :)

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

Just to echo Jason B. You don't HAVE to buy anything as you can keep you're regs as they are with the new BP and Wing. Unless of course you really want to buy some new stuff and are looking for a good reason in which case go for it.

Erik Il Rosso:
I think I made the right decision but what about my regulators now ???

Do I have to change some hoses ???
Do I have to buy some bolt snaps ???
Do I need extra training ???

The only thing I know is that the old configuration is no longer good, I think the era of the "Golded Triangle" is over but I do not know with direction to take now...

I hope you understand what I want to say...

Hope my post in in the right area...

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

P.S. A couple of pics would be highly appreciated...

I started my transition slowly.

My Experience

I'm not DIR but I too switch over to the HOG set up 100 dives ago,and wondered why i didn't do it earlier.I am a rec diver,so a 5 ft hose is just perfect for me.You do need to practice sharing air with the long hose with your buddy.It'll take you only a few dives with your new rig before you get fully accustom to it.I really appreciate the uncluttered front of this set up.Very streamline and tank never rolls.I'm beginning to see divers using this HOG rig on dive boats ,all over the world.Enjoy your new toys!Fredi.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom