Morrison Springs plan update 12/14/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The committee met today at the spring and the preliminary drawings were revealed. Everything is still a work in progress, but the general direction has been set for things to come.

The plans call for getting rid of all existing buildings (including the pavilion and benches) and replacing them with a bathroom/changing room building and an open air education building. The bathroom would be located near where the existing main building is. The education building would be on the hill beyond the existing main building on the bathroom end (not the gate side). These would be connected by boardwalk.

The parking lot inside the gate will be paved and fork near the entrance/bathroom area. As you drive in, parking will be on the left with a boardwalk leading down to the water along that side. The boardwalk forks about 2/3 of the way down and the fork leads through the woods to an observation dock to the left of the basin (as you look from the beach toward the spring). There will be posts installed above the existing pavilion area and angling down to the water behind the right bench below the pavilion. The posts will prevent traffic from entering the beach area.

During high water times, there will be a boat ramp in use near the right bench below the pavilion. At the entrance, boaters will take a right fork and head toward the water. Just above where the existing pavilion is now, there will be a left turn-around so boaters can turn their vehicles around to back down to the launch area. They can drop their boat and then pull forward into several angled parking spaces along the road that led in. The boater could park and, upon return, back down to the ramp to trailer the boat and then drive straight out. The ramp will only be 25 feet past the end of the right bench. At low water it can't be used.

The boaters will use another ramp during low water times. The dirt road, just before you turn off to drive into the spring, leads to the other boat launch. The problem is that the road crosses private property. The plans call for filling a ravine to make a road on the State property. At high water this ramp can not be used.

One of the residents of the area brought up the fact that there was a tree removed from the left side of the basin about 14 years ago. When that was done, sand filled in toward the basin. There has been a drop in flow of the spring through the years and he attributed this to the sand. A permit to dig out some of the sand is being sought. There will be no dredging and the spring area will not be touched. I think this will probably not increase the flow, it has probably dropped due to pressure on the aquifer more than the sand accumulation. The new hole will make it deeper to swim in that area and the sand will be used up in the beach area so all will not be a loss. It would be nice if it helped keep the spring clear as an added bonus.

I asked what plans were being made for admission fees and I was told that there are no plans to charge a fee like other parks. They have not yet gotten estimates on the proposed improvements so I figure things might still change.

I mentioned gear up tables and there was not much of a response. This may be an area that we can help with down the line after they get things going. They will be plumbing outside showers at the bathrooms and hose stations along the boardwalk in the parking area to help with gear rinsing.

All in all it seems like a good plan. They do seem to have their minds set with only slight input being allowed. I'm just glad to be able to know what they're doing and that it is not some terrible mess.

Attached are some topside pics from today - the water was still brown and up pretty far. I brought my gear but the water was higher than the last time Gulf-Gulper and I went and it was pretty dirty then. Diving solo in muck is not my idea of a good time :D.

SeaYoda:
The committee met today at the spring and the preliminary drawings were revealed. Everything is still a work in progress, but the general direction has been set for things to come.

The plans call for getting rid of all existing buildings (including the pavilion and benches) and replacing them with a bathroom/changing room building and an open air education building. The bathroom would be located near where the existing main building is. The education building would be on the hill beyond the existing main building on the bathroom end (not the gate side). These would be connected by boardwalk.

The parking lot inside the gate will be paved and fork near the entrance/bathroom area. As you drive in, parking will be on the left with a boardwalk leading down to the water along that side. The boardwalk forks about 2/3 of the way down and the fork leads through the woods to an observation dock to the left of the basin (as you look from the beach toward the spring). There will be posts installed above the existing pavilion area and angling down to the water behind the right bench below the pavilion. The posts will prevent traffic from entering the beach area.

During high water times, there will be a boat ramp in use near the right bench below the pavilion. At the entrance, boaters will take a right fork and head toward the water. Just above where the existing pavilion is now, there will be a left turn-around so boaters can turn their vehicles around to back down to the launch area. They can drop their boat and then pull forward into several angled parking spaces along the road that led in. The boater could park and, upon return, back down to the ramp to trailer the boat and then drive straight out. The ramp will only be 25 feet past the end of the right bench. At low water it can't be used.

The boaters will use another ramp during low water times. The dirt road, just before you turn off to drive into the spring, leads to the other boat launch. The problem is that the road crosses private property. The plans call for filling a ravine to make a road on the State property. At high water this ramp can not be used.

One of the residents of the area brought up the fact that there was a tree removed from the left side of the basin about 14 years ago. When that was done, sand filled in toward the basin. There has been a drop in flow of the spring through the years and he attributed this to the sand. A permit to dig out some of the sand is being sought. There will be no dredging and the spring area will not be touched. I think this will probably not increase the flow, it has probably dropped due to pressure on the aquifer more than the sand accumulation. The new hole will make it deeper to swim in that area and the sand will be used up in the beach area so all will not be a loss. It would be nice if it helped keep the spring clear as an added bonus.

I asked what plans were being made for admission fees and I was told that there are no plans to charge a fee like other parks. They have not yet gotten estimates on the proposed improvements so I figure things might still change.

I mentioned gear up tables and there was not much of a response. This may be an area that we can help with down the line after they get things going. They will be plumbing outside showers at the bathrooms and hose stations along the boardwalk in the parking area to help with gear rinsing.

All in all it seems like a good plan. They do seem to have their minds set with only slight input being allowed. I'm just glad to be able to know what they're doing and that it is not some terrible mess.

Attached are some topside pics from today - the water was still brown and up pretty far. I brought my gear but the water was higher than the last time Gulf-Gulper and I went and it was pretty dirty then. Diving solo in muck is not my idea of a good time :D.
Thanks for the update. I dont think sand would cause flow to be down, but blowing up the cave 30 years ago might.

Sounds like they are atleast trying to find a way to keep the site open to everyone in a safe manner. Thanks for the update, I would have liked to have been there but was working in New Orleans.

The water seems to have gone down slightly from Sunday :)

Man I hope they blow open the cave again!!!!

So the cave is closed off? (beyond the big cavern room?)

I wasn't sure. ( I didn't go looking for the opening the one time I've been in the cavern.) I did find a map on the internet somewhere that said the cave was blasted shut in the 60's or something 'by order of the sherrif'.

kinda whacky they want to spend all that money on a boardwalk down towards the water but don't want to put a small amount of money into some gear tables.

yeah its closed, I mean you could probably get in there if your a SLIM guy w/ no gear.

They probably think that someone might take the picknic tables or something

WaterDawg:
yeah its closed, I mean you could probably get in there if your a SLIM guy w/ no gear.

They probably think that someone might take the picknic tables or something

I was there with SeaYoda for the first meeting and we suggested the gear
tables then also. A gear table being a platform type table that you could
spread gear out on so that it doesn't get covered in sand, etc. Kinda like
the ones you have at BlueWater in Pelham. I think some picnic tables
would be nice also, but for picnic use. having seperate gear tables will
keep scuba gear off the picnic tables.

I also can't figure out why they are tearing down the existing pavillion
unless it has structural issues. It could still be used were it sits. put some
of those picnic tables under it. :)

The existing bathrooms aren't that bad either. They're block building type
and old, but they worked fine when I used them. But I guess if they've
got funds to make it nicer, then it should be a good thing.

I think the fact that the boat ramp will be seperate will be the best
new feature. It's much safter for divers as it will minimize the number
of boats in the basin. The boaters will like it better as when there
are a bunch of scuba divers there, sometimes the beach area gets
blocked from them launching and also makes it harder for them
to safely navigate.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom