lung capacity?air consumption?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kjpwong

Reaction score
g'day all,
just wondering if the larger your lung capacity is, do you generally consume more air as a result? it kinda makes sense but forgive me if this sounds silly, but dont people encourage more exercise to improve performance/bottom time? but exercise increases your lung capaity which theoredicly make you consume more air each time..........
thanks in advance....
cheers
kenny:)

kjpwong:
g'day all,
just wondering if the larger your lung capacity is, do you generally consume more air as a result? it kinda makes sense but forgive me if this sounds silly, but dont people encourage more exercise to improve performance/bottom time? but exercise increases your lung capaity which theoredicly make you consume more air each time..........
thanks in advance....
cheers

It really comes down to the type of training you do and the type of muscles you develop.
See
http://www.nismat.org/physcor/max_o2.html

Aerobic training will increase your efficiency of use of your air supply.
OTOH just muscle building will increase your O2 requirement without improving efficiency.
Ideally you want a low muscle mass which you can use efficiently to get a good SAC.

kjpwong:
g'day all,
thanks in advance....
cheers
I have very large lungs (close to 8 liters) but I think one key is that I only breathe (under normal conditions) 5 - 8 times per minute. My exhalation is generally as long, if not longer than my inhalation. Air consumption isn't about lung capacity as much as it is about lung efficiency. I consistently get 2 hours from an AL63 cylinder in 30-40 feet of water, keeping in mind that I also freedive an awful lot to help develop this efficiency.

kjpwong:
g'day all,
thanks in advance....
cheers

Actually, quite an excellent question, and you're right on target on your hunches. Like VO2 Max, Lung Capacity is genetically determined. It has been determined that individuals whose genetic backgrounds include generations that were raised in Hypoxic Environments (as in Altitude) will exhibit larger lungs and larger Lung Capacity (in Relation to Body Size) than people whose backgrounds are more normoxic. Exercise DOES NOT increase lung capacity, You may be getting confused with Lung Volume and Pulmonary Diffusion Capacity which DO change with exercise.

And guess what? You take A LOT more air per breath than most people, but at the same time you breath with less frequency. I can relate to your case because I have the same issue. I took part of series of studies for Cold Exposure and hormonal changes conducted at Rutgers University under the guidance of Doctor Karen Mittleman. My Vo2 Max was measured (with the lab setting gear) along other components. It was then that I discovered about my large lung capacity. Whereas most people breathe and average of 24-30 times per minute, I was averaging 8-12 breaths per minute. This was validated by the fact that I did not know that such measurements were being taken, and I was not informed of it until the end of the experiment.

That was awesome for free diving, but made it a bit hard during my inital dives. Being that it was emphasized over and over that one MUST NEVER hold their breath, I always kept breathing, at a much higher rate than I normally do. I sucked my tanks dry during my pool training. After reading and researching, and speaking with other divers, I learned that it was far more important to breathe as normally as possible, and chill out :14: Of course the more I dove, the more comfortable I got under water, the better my breathing pattern became, taking advantage of the large lung capacity. I use a similar breathing pattern that I used when swimming, which was taking a breath every 4 strokes (even when sprinting). That worked VERY well for me. I adapted it at inhaling in four continuous, slow breaths, then exhaling in five counts. After that, I do not find the need to breathe for a few more seconds. Being fit is also important since having a large lung capacity means very little if your body is not efficient at using the oxygen. This is when Lung Volume and Pulmonary Diffusion Capacity improvements through exercise are important.

For more on human adaptation with different genetic backgrounds to different stresses, I recommend the awesome book by A. Robert Frisancho "Human Adaptation and Accommodation" That was a great question! Happy Diving

freediver:
I have very large lungs (close to 8 liters) but I think one key is that I only breathe (under normal conditions) 5 - 8 times per minute. My exhalation is generally as long, if not longer than my inhalation. Air consumption isn't about lung capacity as much as it is about lung efficiency. I consistently get 2 hours from an AL63 cylinder in 30-40 feet of water, keeping in mind that I also freedive an awful lot to help develop this efficiency.

I'm not sure "lung efficiency" is the right expression, but you're taking in only about 1.2 liters per breath. That's not much.

63 [ft3]/2 [atm]/120 [min] = 0.2635 [ft3/min] at 33 feet
0.2635 [ft3/min]/6 [breaths/min] = 0.04325 [ft3/breath] = 1.2 [liters/breath]

Great info as I've often wondered about this issue. And was going to pose pretty much the same question tonight. My lung capacity is larger than average, but not close to coach's rate. I also float like a cork. And as strange as it may seem, I did notice my air consumption on scuba seemed to decrease when I reduced the intensity of my cardio workouts a bit.

:coffin: Resurrecting an old thread. :coffee:

There is a point that comes to mind on this topic that I was wondering about.

Here's my theory, does it have substance?

A high cardiovascular fitness level will frequently lead to a decreased level of air consumption in a scenario that involves..

- Stress.

If your work rate increases because of environmental reasons (ie swimming against a current) or psychological stress occurs (you become anxious because you get tangled in fishing line) your heart rate will rise, with an increased heart rate more oxygen will be used as fuel. The fitter you are the less your heart rate will rise, so it could be argued that a high level of cardiovascular fitness will reduce oxygen use during the critical or serious moments of a dive.

theslyfox01:
:coffin: Resurrecting an old thread. :coffee:

There is a point that comes to mind on this topic that I was wondering about.

Here's my theory, does it have substance?

A high cardiovascular fitness level will frequently lead to a decreased level of air consumption in a scenario that involves..

- Stress.

High Cardiovascular Fitness Levels have more to do with efficiency in the utilization of oxygen rather than just the volume of gas you may consume. Do not forget that the words CARDIO and VASCULAR involve the circulatory systems which are key in the collection and distribution of oxygen, and the elimination of the byproducts. If it were only a matter of volume of gas consumed, then small people with smaller lungs would not have a chance in endurance events. We can clearly see that is not the case.

If your work rate increases because of environmental reasons (ie swimming against a current) or psychological stress occurs (you become anxious because you get tangled in fishing line) your heart rate will rise,

Apples and Oranges. When your heart rate increases because of physical demands, the acidity levels of your blood are affected in a very specific way. The more acidic (lower pH) blood will trigger the respiratory responses which involve dilation of blood vessels, and all the responses we all know.

The psychological stress on the other hand, involves more of a hormonal response, involving cortisol and the grand daddy of the stress response hormones, adrenaline. These hormones have a high effect on the nervous systems and the increased response in heart rate is accompanied by vasoconstriction (as in shrinking of the blood vessels) which is the opposite of what happens during cardio exercise.

Somebody with a high degree of physical fitness but very low experience in diving will have a much higher heart rate and gas consumption response to an stress situation (like entaglement, or new environments like currents) than somebody who may be overweight bus has 15 years of diving of experience under his belt. It is all situation dependent. If you really want to compare those populations, you would need very complex parameters (like a group who is fit and new to diving, another group who is fit, but experienced with diving, another group who is unfit but experienced, and finally a group who is unfit and unexperienced) not to mention elaborate systems to generate measures while eliminating bias. In my opinion, all unnecessary.

with an increased heart rate more oxygen will be used as fuel. The fitter you are the less your heart rate will rise, so it could be argued that a high level of cardiovascular fitness will reduce oxygen use during the critical or serious moments of a dive.

Again, hard to compare without taking into account experience levels and Lactate Treshold levels.

That was a good question! Thanks for bringing up a really great point. Happy and safe diving

Just to build on what Izzy posted, part of the panic response is a feedback loop between heart rate and level of anxiety. This is, in a way, a connection between the apples and oranges he elucidates above.

As you physically work to solve a problem, your heart rate increases. Your brain senses this increase in heart rate, and this part of the brain interprets the rise itself as indication that "something is wrong." This part of the brain then signals that message to the anxiety part of the brain, already on alert because you know you are dealing with a problem, which then causes more anxiety, which then causes a higher heart rate, which is interpreted as "something is wrong"... and you are now on your way to panic.

There is no hard research on this, but it is not a huge leap of logic to think that decreased HR response due to fitness could slow the development of a panic response. There are many better reasons to get fit for diving, and experience is much more likely to keep you from panicking than fitness itself, but it might indeed have its own influence on the cycle.

Cameron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom