Thoughts on a used QD BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blitzpb

Registered
Reaction score
I have found a used Diva QD BCD for my wife. The BC is 2 years old and was a rental. They replaced the inflator and the colors are faded. The price seems good, but I am worried about it being a rental. Should this BCD work out ok? In other words, has anyone else here had any good luck purchasing used rental BCD's? I have heard many good things about the DIVA QD which is I why I am looking at this.

Thanks

If the price is good, it should be okay - the inflator has been replaced, which is the bit that's most likely to be full of 2 year old sand. Pull dumps were mentioned as a likely failure point for BCs in a recent thread - find out if this particular model has a pull dump on the inflator hose, and if so, ask to inspect the cable to make sure it's in good condition. QD - is this a weight integrated model? If so, check the condition of the velcro that holds the weights in, and make sure it's still got plenty of stick - otherwise there is a risk of a weight pocket being lost at depth, which can cause major bouyancy problems, uncontrolled ascents, etc. If these all check out, and the price is good, go for it.

SeaQuest is a good brand.

Thanks. Unfortunately this LDS is not what you would consider "local" to me at any rate. Ive have asked them all the right questions now I believe an dI hope to have a new BC for my wife by the time we go on our Anniversary trip to Catalina!

Thanks

I can tell you that the Diva is an AWESOME bc! I have the LX and I love it! I would never change it!!! Well, actually, I won't say never because I bought a meduim and it turns out I may have needed a small, but nonetheless, if you can get one used, in better than used condition, go for it. I bought mine new and it hurt to lay out all that cash. But I definitely don't regret it at all! Just use common sense about the things that have been mentioned above like the velcro, octopus, etc. and you should be fine.

The main non-repairable element in an aging BC is the ability for the bladder to hold air. After so many assaults with salt crystals, micro-tears add up & the darn thing holds less & less. Faded colors don't necesarily mean anything, as sun bleaches gear quickly. You can buy it on a gamble for the great price, but try it in the pool before Catalina!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom