Keys Dive Op for lobstering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

herman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A buddy and myself are planning a trip to the Keys in Feb and would like to do some lobstering. Does anyone have any suggestions on which dive operator to use?

Hey Herman,

There are a number of operators like ourselves in the Upper Keys who provide opportunities to lobster. Some of the dive spots here are protected areas and do not allow taking or any marine life. The operator you chose should be able to tell you if you can take lobster in the areas they will be diving.

Also you will need to get a fishing license / lobster stamp from the Florida Fish and Wildlife. You can call them and get your license over the phone at 889-347-4356.

Good Luck and Good Diving,

Thanks guys.
I know about the regulations. What I want to avoid is getting hooked up with an operator and finding out that all/most of the trips they are going to be doing are to protected areas or some deeper wrecks. Having one that knows some good spots is a plus.

herman:
Thanks guys.
I know about the regulations. What I want to avoid is getting hooked up with an operator and finding out that all/most of the trips they are going to be doing are to protected areas or some deeper wrecks. Having one that knows some good spots is a plus.
But if we took you there... :wink:

Would dinner and beers that evening make any difference?

Hi Herman-

I've not been lobstering with them, but I've been diving with Capt Gary and Conch Republic on a couple of trips over that past few years. They run a great op, and I would recommend them. The owners (Gary and Brenda) spent a few years in your/our neck of the woods (NC) before heading for warmer waters.

I know Al (the AirTech guy from Gypsy) enjoys lobstering in the Keys, but I'm not sure which op he uses. Gene from Gypsy knows many of the Key Largo ops well (esp. some some of the 6-packs) and might be able to help you out.

Rich

Thanks Rich.
I know for sure which op Al uses....been with him on one of his lobster trips. I know Gene as well, come to think of it, I know most all of the Gypsy staff. My credit card knows them all to well. :)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom