Cavern Diving in Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DomaNitrogen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey,

I am interested in taking Cavern course, but the question is there caverns in Egypt? Bedside’s the “The cave and the canyon in Dahab“

Has any one cave dived in Egypt?
And would any one be interested in taking the course with me in Egypt?

BR
Doma

Hi Doma,

The St Johns reefs are shot through with what you might call caves, though they are nothing like the real deal. All shallow and with plenty of exits to the surface. I also swam through a nice natural tunnel north of Marsa Shagra a few weeks ago, again not very challenging.

I haven't heard of cave diving courses being given in Egypt. It seems kinda silly if you don't have the cold, dark & deep kind of caves there, the ones that can get you killed.

I would definitely be interested if it existed, however!

Art

“if you don't have the cold, dark & deep kind of caves there, the ones that can get you killed”

Though my perception of cave diving is quite different than yours ;
I am sure there is some sort of caves the entire red sea coast and gulf of aqaba has no caves??

Maybe cause of all the coral and stuff it’s the not sort of diving people would come want to do.

Did any one actually been in a real cave in Egypt?

Doma

From what I know there are caverns as such all around the cost line in Sharm - it's a matter of knowning where they are. :wink:
Best thing to do is to contact the centre you're going to be diving with to see if they're able to offer the course or advise you if it's possible.
Also check if it's cavern diving or cave diving you want to do as there's a different course for each.

WELL,

thats interesting have u ever been in one actully ? or do u have guys who've been there.

Well i wil be heading there in JAN to 2 spend a week i will keep my eyes open for a cavern and ask more centers

if you have any info send it own

CHeers & Happy new year

Caves in the Red Sea? Beside the Canyon in Dahab, another cave exists. It's called Abu Helal. Also there's another site in Dahab called The Caves. However, I think this latest is not a real cave. I dove it many times and don't consider it as a real cave.
Regarding Sharm El Sheikh, the most famous cave exists in Tiran Islands, Woodhouse Reef.
For Marsa Alam, a cave exists in Abu Dabbab. I don't consider this as a real one though.

In Sharm there is even more. Some beautiful caverns in the Jackfish Alley - but you have to know where to look for some of them. Then Thomas Reef - with its famous canyon and caves. Even some local dives in Sharm have caverns (Temple) but I won't tell you where...
:D
Mania

There are many caves in Sinai- most of them cracks in the reef caused by earthquakes. The majority are either in depths beyond sportive limits, hard accesibility or just too dangerous for most divers, so it is not worth enough for dive clubs to develop cave diving courses and activities.

Here is a video taken by israeli cave divers of a cave near Ras Mamlach:

http://www.divepro.co.il/files/cave1.wmv

This cave has claimed its death-toll in the past, and the divers said it is an extremely dangerous place, with way too many misleading corridors and an array of cluttered old cave lines layed during the years.
BTW, you can add to the list mentioned above a cave- or actually "tunnel" that crosses Elphinstone reef at ~60m.

mania:
In Sharm there is even more. Some beautiful caverns in the Jackfish Alley - but you have to know where to look for some of them. Then Thomas Reef - with its famous canyon and caves. Even some local dives in Sharm have caverns (Temple) but I won't tell you where...
:D
Mania

I know them Mania. I'm a divemaster in the Red Sea and I won't tell you about the newly discovered cave in Hurghada :D

Just kidding.

Jai Bar:
There are many caves in Sinai- most of them cracks in the reef caused by earthquakes. The majority are either in depths beyond sportive limits, hard accesibility or just too dangerous for most divers, so it is not worth enough for dive clubs to develop cave diving courses and activities.

Here is a video taken by israeli cave divers of a cave near Ras Mamlach:

http://www.divepro.co.il/files/cave1.wmv

This cave has claimed its death-toll in the past, and the divers said it is an extremely dangerous place, with way too many misleading corridors and an array of cluttered old cave lines layed during the years.
BTW, you can add to the list mentioned above a cave- or actually "tunnel" that crosses Elphinstone reef at ~60m.

Interesting... But it's hard to imagine with all this coast line there are not major caves in the Red sea..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom