Silent World Dive Center Key Largo *********

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabrandon

Reaction score
Hi-

I have searched the forums but cant come up with anything, so I thoought I would throw this out there:

Anyone dove with Silent World? www.silentworldkeylargo.com You've seen their ad in the magazines Dive Training and Scuba Diving "DIVE KEY LARGO 10 DIVES for $199.95". Its a black and white near the back ad space. Just by looking at the website they seem like they have a great small operation and no cattle boats which is nice.

Anyway, wanted to get some thoughts on this place. Seems like a good deal.

scubabrandon:
Hi-

I have searched the forums but cant come up with anything, so I thoought I would throw this out there:

Anyone dove with Silent World? www.silentworldkeylargo.com You've seen their ad in the magazines Dive Training and Scuba Diving "DIVE KEY LARGO 10 DIVES for $199.95". Its a black and white near the back ad space. Just by looking at the website they seem like they have a great small operation and no cattle boats which is nice.

Anyway, wanted to get some thoughts on this place. Seems like a good deal.
I'm using them in Fenruary. I asked around, of some of the the Conch Divers, and asked their personal opinions of them, and heard nothing negative. The "no cattle boat" feature was a deciding factor. I can tell you how out trip turns out when we get back. We are staying at the Hungry Pelican, which they have linked in their website. When are you looking at going down?
C-Dawg

Its a good deal even with the $10.00 extra fee for the Duane, The Bibb, or The SG, because tanks and weights are included in the price. I like them. They have nice wide boats right at the inlet.

its a nice boat, gets to the reef fast. the crew is very nice.(silent world) I did a night dive with them when captian slates did not have a boat going out. I would recommend them to all. And Captian Slates has the same deal. 10- for $200.00 I have dove with slates about 20 times this year, they are are great crew as well. anyhoo have fun, and bring a fullsuit, the water is getting a little chilly, I would say 74-76. but the keys are always good dives...

Its a great deal for the budget-minded diver.

The one thing worth considering is that the winds can kick up this time of year, and its the smaller boats that are usually affected the most which can mean being blown out. Your 10 dives (which btw is 5 two-tank half-day dives) won't expire, but if you are only there for a few days you may leave with a raincheck for unused dives. Not sure whether in that case they would adjust you to a lesser package or not.

Also, that price doesn't include Nitrox of course, which you may or may not care about depending on which dives you are doing or how many. You can easily do two trips (four dives) a day on Key Largo reefs.

You didn't ask, but in the winter I'd bring a fleece-lined parka with a hood for the surface intervals, esp. on "breezy" days. There isn't much cover on that boat. :)

vapovick, thanks for the info, I had no idea Capt Slates had the same deal going, the pricelist on their website says five trips with tanks/weights is $320.00

yeah, Slates is a good shop. They dont have this deal listed, but they do offer it. www.captainslate.com is their site, there in Garden Cove, Silents boat is right next to theirs. yeah, bring some warm threads man, we had 4-6' seas our last day on Dec 8, it was a little rough. FOCUS, and you'll be fine, had a couple of people get sick on that trip. but a day of diving is better than a day of working, even if it is a little rough.. :)

vapovick:
yeah, Slates is a good shop. They dont have this deal listed, but they do offer it.

Including tanks and weights? Do yo just have to ask?

I am probably going to head down for a few days around Jan 16th. if they have some slots open. My only hang up is my buddy is suppose to get me a southwest ticket for cheap and i wont know about that for another couple weeks. I'll probably start trying to arrange hotel and the dive monday or tuesday.

As far as exposure suit would a 3mm farmer john (6mm on chest) be too much for January?

My wife and I spent a week on Key Largo and we dove with Silent World. It was great. They were very helpful. We go the 10 dives for 199.00.... The Captain asked everyone at the beginning where we wanted to go. The majority ruled. It was nice. We dove the Spiegel, Bentwood, City of Washington, Statute of Christ, and many other great sites. We had to pay for nitrox on the Spiegel, but it wasn't much more. All dives included 21% air...

I almost forgot to mention about me wetsuit incident. I forgot my wetsuit and Henderson hardsole booties on the boat when my wife and I left Key Largo for Fort Lauderdale. We were suppose to do the beach clean up with the other Conchs. When I arrived in Fort Lauderdale, I noticed my wetsuit was missing. I had to buy another one... I know I should have rented one, but oops. Anyways, I called Silent World and they had my wetsuit and booties. They shipped them to my house and did not charge my anything. I can't promise they will do that for everyone, but just the fact that they knew it was mine stuff and collected for me meant a lot. It shows me they care about their customers..... They have me vote.

murphdivers286:
They shipped them to my house and did not charge my anything.

Oh good so I can just leave my gear there and have them ship it back to me, that way I can load up on Key West beer....hahaha

Seriously, Thanks for the write up. Its good to hear from someone who has been there.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom